Sydney and first home buyers

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Depreciator, 25th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Here we go again.
    This bloke is having a moan (via the Sydney Morning Herald) about losing out at an auction for his first home - a one bedroom flat in Coogee. His ceiling was $700K and the flat went for $890K. It's about 400 metres from the beach, so no surprises there.
    I can empathise with the pain of him missing out on a property you really want, but that's as far as my empathy extends.
    The journo, Jenny, is a member here. Jenny, I want to know whether at any time in that conversation you had with that bloke whether you slapped him around the head and said, 'Look, you dill, take your $700K about 5 klms inland and you'll be able to buy a two bed flat - probably with a garage.'

Help for Sydney’s first-home buyers ‘inadequate’ as entry-level properties push past NSW government threshold

HUGH72, bob shovel and vbplease like this.
  2. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Don't cry for me Argentina. I agree that the fellow and his gf should consider alternative options.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Must've been an interview with @Ald

4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I think it's a great idea the NSW gov puts a cap on the stamp duty concession for fhb's.. if a fhb is young professional (as per the domain article) on less than $100k a year and they want, not need, a first home for more than $650k (entitlement mentality), then that shouldn't be encouraged/subsidised by the gov.

Angel likes this.
  5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

6. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    890k for a 1 bedroom apartment :eek:

7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

This never ending affordability issue for FHO! Would it go away already!
    Stop trying to buy within a stones throw to your $40 smashed feta and avocado breakfasts
    and $15 craft beers and realize you need to START on the bottom of the property ladder, not on top.
    It's just laughable this type of media articles now.

8. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure a one bedroom apartment is the bottom of the "ladder". Maybe he should buy a parking spot and pitch a tent on it and hope to "upgrade" in the future.

I can understand making a big deal if he was wanting harbour views or something but the apartment in question is hardly special. The lounge room is only 10sqm!

Sydney property prices have made people lose perspective on the value of money. I can't get my head around that something like that sold for almost one million dollars and the problem is that young people apparently have high expectations.

meatpopsicle, zed_kid and New Town like this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, well they are the ones stoking the fire a lot of the time.

I have met plenty of people with that mindset, some have been telling me for over 20 years that it is all too hard, too expensive, of course, they want prime Eastern suburbs positions or inner city.

10. fols

fols Well-Known Member

First home. In Coogee.

Maaaaaate.

Dan Donoghue and andrew_t like this.
  11. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Not sure if we should bash the couple given sometimes journalists just come up to losing bidder and ask them as few questions, and then take a quick photo with them. Then next thing they are on paper and journalists can put those couples in good or bad light depending on how they write their article.

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Reading all the way through Jennifer's article and the related one which shows stats from various suburbs, she goes on to discuss stamp duty and other things. I guess if she selected an average joe at an auction on the western side of Sydney in the $500k suburbs, the article wouldn't have had such pretty pictures to use. That Coogee apartment is really nice but given the desirable location it simply is not an entry level property for your average income earners.

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

But even paying $600k plus in no name suburbs for a 1 bedroom apartment was unheard of a few years ago. Now it's not abnormal. Before the boom you could have snagged a decent 3 bed house on a block of land in a reasonable middle ring suburb for that much.

Sydney’s one-bedroom apartments becoming out of reach for first-home buyers

I was watching Selling houses Australia last night on 7 two and at the time the episode was filmed the median priced homes in Glendenning (near Blacktown) were priced at high 3's. Those houses looked really good.... That episode cant have been that old...

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2016
  14. fols

fols Well-Known Member

I moved to Coogee in 97. You could buy a solid 2 bed apartment with LUG and balcony walking distance to the beach for $220K. Was about to buy, but it felt a bit exy.

WattleIdo likes this.
  15. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

@Jennifer Duke , tell this guy to curb his enthusiasm and buy a bit further out.

In this Sydney market, 700k should buy him a nice cardboard box in the middle of the Hume Highway at Lansvale, although he might need to park his car on a side street and have no aversion to noise and pollution...

16. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

There would be dozens and dozens of 1 bed flats that have sold recently for under $700K in and around Randwick. That smack bang in the middle of the Eastern Suburbs - just not walking distance to the beach. A few kilometres west, and he could add an extra bedroom and parking and get a flat for under $700K.

Dean Collins and Sackie like this.
  17. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

S06E05 - 6 March 2013 (airdate) most likely filmed 6 months prior.

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Doubled or better.

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Not good enough mate . Needs to be 2min walk to the beach with all the nice cafes around .

20. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I think it's ex for a 1 bedder but market dictates the price of the property. better to move on and get something he or she can afford.