Sydney Agents

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by CDC, 24th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. CDC

CDC Member

I have to say, If I was a property investor in Sydney I would have to be somewhat dismayed at the quality of the agents in and around the city and inner city Suburbs.

I find myself relocating and am looking to rent. I Have cash to pay for a 12-18 month lease up front etc but the lack of interest shown by agents is really surprising. Cold calling agencies around the Pyrmont, Ultimo area generally results in a "Everything is on the internet" reply, requesting an inspection via a realestate.com.au add normally results in "no inspections are scheduled but we'll let you know when they are". Phone calls go for days unanswered or without reply. Even onsite mangers are not much better.

What slump, it seems that the real estate agents haven't caught on yet.

I really do feel sorry for you Sydney investors.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Its generally quite hard to get a rental 'off-market' and the leasing consultants are often the least experienced and most busy. Sometimes you just have to make yourself available to attend the advertised opens and compete with other applications.

I don't have anything in Ultimo/Pyrmont right now, but I have a small house in Glebe?

Tom Rivera and SeafordSunshine like this.
  4. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I have never heard of people in recent history phoning an agent and asking what stock they have.

The property portals will have everything you need from every agency with photos.

From there I've found that you wont get any response/service from an agent if the property has inspection times listed.
    If they dont have inspection times listed then its usually a stale listing and so they will send the office junior out to show you around.
    These latter properties always have room to haggle or even low ball.

I've previously offered to pay the lease term upfront but never had the offer taken up so I dont think its of as much benefit as simply having all your paperwork in order.

Bradley Peet and Tom Rivera like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

"Your going to have to compete for any property that has any desirability at the moment, and that means a bigger price".

Pretty much sums it up.

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The only time I have ever offered to pay up front in full for a lease was after many years of home ownership.
    Not having any rental history or REA references meant I was being overlooked.
    It is a good tactic to use in this situation and should put you near the front of the list.

As per others, you will struggle to get anyone to "open up" outside of scheduled opens for an inspection, this is what happens when there is little to no margin/profit in it for the agent (everyone wants the cheapest fee for service)

Bradley Peet likes this.