[Sydney] Adding island kitchen in apartment - need strata approval?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by poby, 29th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. poby

poby Well-Known Member

Hi all.

I'm looking an an apartment in Sydney. We like the location/layout etc but the one thing is that the kitchen is too small.

There's plenty of space enough to add an average sized kitchen island.

The agent of course says it's cheap and easy to add one, and strata approval is not required.

But wanted to ask the experts here whether strata is likely to take issue with the addition of a kitchen island?

I spoke to the kitchen reno people and they said strata does need to be notified and the building licence number provided, which sounds like they need to approve it first.

So the question is - is there any circumstance under which I may not be able to go ahead with the kitchen island installation (due to strata not approving/ committee voting against it for some unknown reason)?

Would appreciate any tips
    Thank you

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

You are right not to trust the agent, they just want the sale, after that, any problems you encounter are yours alone.

Perhaps have a read of the strata bylaws? I'm not too handy when it comes to buying strata apartments and renovating them, but others have, hopefully they can help.

poby likes this.
  3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

The main source of issue would be services. If you don't need power or water to the island then it is straightforward.

Power is probably not that complicated but you still need to modify common property (slab).

Adding new drains and water is more likely to be prohibitive.

poby and Archaon like this.
  4. poby

poby Well-Known Member

Thanks I'm looking for a plain benchtop with cabinetry, no drain or power.

In a way it's just furniture, just bigger and heavier than those small trolley types with wheels.

So I gather strata should have no issues with it.

Thanks

5. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Flooring is a big issue in strata so I've read, if you are modifying flooring it could be an issue.

poby likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you are not altering anything - floor, plumbing, electricity - and just building a free-standing, movable island then I can’t see any problems.

As you say, it will be just a big piece of furniture.

MWI, poby and Propertunity like this.
  7. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

And you may not need to involve strata at all

poby likes this.
  8. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

MWI likes this.
  9. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

poby likes this.
  10. poby

poby Well-Known Member

Thanks all!

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I see "renovating a kitchen" and think that what is suggested here doesn't really fall into that category. For me, I'd rather tick all the boxes rather than have some nosy person accuse me of doing something without approval.

The problem is that with some blocks, the nosy neighbour (often the most active committee member) will block something regardless.

I've seen this with my sister-in-law who has rubbed the committee members the wrong way, and now they block even the most reasonable things, that don't affect them. Just because they can.

12. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I also don't think it falls into the renovating kitchen category as you aren't changing the kitchen. That would be my opinion as a strata committee member as well. The issue with unnecessary approval is delay, complexity and potential cost (meetings etc). If I was on the strata committee I would run it past them perhaps.

13. arewethereyet

arewethereyet Well-Known Member

Did you end up seeking strata approval @poby? (I would've assumed you wouldn't need to for the kind of change you've described and would have just gone ahead with it )

Archaon likes this.