Switching an IP to PPOR for borrowing capacity

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Athikalaka, 28th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Athikalaka

Athikalaka Well-Known Member

I have a friend (really, I do have friends) who was discussing borrowing capacity as she already has a few IP under her belt and is looking at her next move, either another IP or a PPOR.
    As borrowing capacity is usually lower for PPOR, she was considering applying for an investment loan for higher borrowing capacity, rent the property or for a period then make it her PPOR and hope to get the rates reduced as OO rates.
    Is this approach viable or does it require a lot more complexity with the banks?

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The approach is viable and not really a big deal. The main concern would be can your friend really afford the commitment they're taking on under the circumstances.

Earlier this week I put together a deal for a client. After careful analysis, their borrowing capacity was about 20% better if they purchase a PPOR rather than an IP.

I've got plenty of examples of an IP being more affordable than a PPOR as well.

Your friend is probably making an assumption.

Athikalaka likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Be mindful that some lenders are partially on to this gig.

CBA for eg, wont look at a rejig from IP to PPOR product if rent was used for servicing in the assessment of the purchase for a min of 6 mths.

ta
    rolf

4. Geekyebony

Geekyebony Active Member

I am just curious to know under which circumstances will the borrowing capacity be better for a PPOR than an IP considering that the PPOR brings no income ? just something general will do.

kierank likes this.
  5. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

I guess when your rent cost is higher than the potential rental income from the IP. Note that IP rental income is shed to 70-80%. You get negative gearing add back with IP but IP mortgage IR is often higher than PPOR IR.

Terry_w likes this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

And the assessment rate is often mid 5s for a PPOR vs mid to high 6s for an IP

ta
    rolf

7. Peter_Tersteeg

For example, if you currently rent, you can continue to rent and purchase an IP. Or you can purchase a PPOR and no longer have a rental expense.

The outcome might depend on how much rent you pay and would continue to pay if you purchase and IP.

There's also various niches with different lenders calculation of living expenses that can make a difference.

You can't make an assumption either way without going through all the numbers.

8. Sakura

Sakura Well-Known Member

I have seen a few people who purchased using investment loan (for increased borrowing capacity) however, the purpose of the purchase is for a PPOR. They now have an investment home loan, but live in it from day one. How is CGT treated if they were to sell the property if their initial "intention" was an investment?

9. Peter_Tersteeg

@Sakura there's generally no GST on an established residential property.

10. Sakura

Sakura Well-Known Member

Ok, so the scenario I mentioned is perfectly fine and people can obtain Investment loans for buying their PPOR with no CGT consequences?

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What the loan is called has no bearing on income tax or CGT (or gst)

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF