Swimming Pool Removal - increase value of house?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by rooster123, 31st Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. rooster123

rooster123 Well-Known Member

We have half of backyard area having pool 5m x 10m in size and unable to maintain it.
    We are thinking to remove the pool. I called local pool removals, ABA Pool Removals and got quote of ~12k AUD. 70-80% houses on our streets (we are in northmead, nsw) have pool. We are thinking to sell / rent this house in next 2-3 years.

1) So we are wondering if we remove the pool, will it increase or decrease the value of our house?
    2) What are our options for pool removals – 12k is too much money :(

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

$12k pays for a lot of Poolwerx visits

Scott No Mates likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Or even an automatic pool cleaning system...

4. rooster123

Thanks guys, really appreciate some insights and helps on those two concerns :(

5. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

1. Yes, you are destroying capital (improvement) and the 12k is not adding value. If you were to extend the house then you could be doing okay. E.g. my PPOR used to have a pool but they collapsed it and turned it into another 2 bed + bath. This changed the house from a 3/1/1 home into a 4/2/2 (with study).
    2. Don't know but sounds okay, get another 1-2 quotes and you will have a fair idea.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be asking the local agents how this will affect your value. They are the ones that should know.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I suggest you speak to some real estate agents to get some idea of adding/decreasing value. Also, if you are considering renting, speak to some renting agents and see what their opinion is of pool vs no pool for renting and asking rent. I can't imagine a pool adding any rental value in winter, but in summer, a pool might add value.

8. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Why does it have to be removed? You could just cover it up. Build a deck over it. Put a raised garden area over it. etc. etc. Could be much cheaper.

You could turn it into a skate rink, or whatever they're called -

Toon likes this.
  9. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

I have a relative who filled in a pool in Castle Hill and built a 2 bed granny flat on top. In this case they added quite a bit of value to their house and the cost of pool removal was included to the build cost of granny flat and insignificant to the amount of value added. I suspect this might also work well for an area like Northmead

10. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

A pool in a IP a continual headache. in a PPOR personal preference - I would be looking at other quotes for removal, the quote of 12K is over the top, when looking for a home last year I enquired about removal of existing pool and was quoted under $1,500 to fill and cover.

11. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Fill and cover is a better idea if you can do it. There are plenty of excavation companies that will deliver a heap of dirt to your place for no cost at all (just make sure they don't dump more than you need).
    Costs you nothing.

12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Can't see it increasing value, but will be less outgoing and headache as an IP maybe, but it may also be in demand, talk to a local competent PM to see if there is demand.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. thokkotu

thokkotu Well-Known Member

Hello Rooster123,

Your thoughts are right in northmead, which i know very well it does not make sense to have a pool (older one or any one) if you wish to rent out or sell. My suggestion is you can easily fill it with solid building clean fill such as demolished bricks, roof tiles and broken concrete. Some of it can be obtained for free but you may have to cart it to the back.

is the block a level block ? you could use this to your advantage if you wish to move soil

14. rooster123

Thanks guys for your valuable inputs.

This is layout of our backyard : Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

We are thinking to remove pool and make it bigger backyard - so later we can setup some kids play area etc. Im thinking how much do you think is fair price for this job ( removal of pool + filling soil/land etc). Any specific recommendation of pool removal company in Sydney?

15. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Simply ripping the pool out is unlikely to add value - pools are looked upon differently by different people. Some love them.

16. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

I had this dilemma myself; when kids were young they loved the pool; now we hardly use it ...

We checked out knowing the pool out but it was expensive as access was a problem...and then the back neighbour poured nearly 50K to dig out a pool...hmm...

In the end, we sourced a pool cover company to custom make a cover...no sun, no algae, no green look .no maintenance...it was so solid my husband could stand upright in the middle of the pool !

We figure might as well wait it out until some grandkids come along (pleeze!) and use that damn pool again...

17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Pools are little work and make great water features.