NSW Sutherland Shire

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Monopoly Man in Top Hat, 13th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Commute from the shire sucks unless you work locally, it’s hard to get anywhere, roads are crap. It’s not very multicultural. There were definitely race riots. Cronulla is a really nice beach.

2. Monopoly Man in Top Hat

Monopoly Man in Top Hat Well-Known Member

Agreed that the Shire is not idea if you work in the CBD.

Not sure why people keep referring to its demographic composition but it is certainly safer and more palatable than "multicultural" Lakemba.

3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Work in CBD. Drive in, about 50 mins leaving after 0830. Drive home, leaving 1830, 30 mins door to door.
    You pick your times if you can. Drive in at 0700 is garbage. Train from Caringbah to CBD 45 mins, Jannali at 30 mins on express.

In our area house buyers now seem to be ex Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or within Shire. With increased WFH, F6 developments, beach, river and RNP access and still decent space long term slight tailwinds over broader market particularly for eastern areas of the shire imho. A look at the high end developments in Cronulla completed and underway would surprise the “Cronulla = Race riot/Bogan” brigade. Things move on.

Within shire traffic is not good and obviously not multicultural if that kind of thing is important to you.

Last edited: 29th Sep, 2020
    Handyandy, marty998 and Stoffo like this.
  4. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Same rate of assault, higher rate of homocide in the shire, higher rate of robbery in lakemba, higher rate of malicious property in the shire, higher rate of disorderly conduct in the shire (maybe due to all those girls who stick alcohol labels on their arms to show their potential suitors how drunk they are)... maybe the perception of “safety” in the shire is more due to feeling comfortable around other whites and fearful of people from other cultures, particularly muslims, as you’ve targeted in your response about “Lakemba”

StunningWill likes this.
  5. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

With the "Shire" having a population of over 218,000 and Lakemba having a population of just over 17,000 your analogy doesn't make sense.

6. The Falcon

Assume the numbers are Canterbury Bankstown LGA vs Sutherland Shire LGA. The calculations are per 100,000 pop. so are comparable. What is interesting is that you are almost twice as likely to have your home broken into and more than twice as likely to have your car stolen in Canterbury Bankstown LGA according to the 2019 numbers. Perhaps that truth was a bit inconvenient.

The "Shire" as a term doesnt really work for me these days. The area is very diverse from a demographic / socio-economic perspective. Gross generalisations around this large area are pretty pointless unless you want to create a straw man to beat on.

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Still, there is the "Shire Tax" (similar to the Australia tax) !

I try to get quotes by only supplying the job details without an address :rolleyes:

Because otherwise the price seems to be multiplied when I supply an address, or multiplied and the doubled if attending our home :eek:

(I'm asset rich and cash poor, just because I have a nice house in a great spot doesn't mean I'm rich, I have a mortgage to match :().....

Handyandy likes this.
  8. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

I was going off the crime map for that region. Obviously wasn’t comparing Lakemba to the whole shire. There’s comparable suburbs like Punchbowl and Greenacre included in that area on the crime map. All I’m saying is, is that because someone wears a hijab doesn’t mean they’re out to get you.

As for the car thing, sure, that sounds about right. But when I lived in Centennial Park my ex’s car was broken into twice in a couple of weeks - wouldn’t pick that.

9. StunningWill

StunningWill Well-Known Member

Think of the Shire as the beach version of Campbelltown hehehe.

10. The Falcon

Better car parks though!

5936BBB4-2431-4B84-92C6-D320C99355AF.jpeg

marty998 and Handyandy like this.
  11. Monopoly Man in Top Hat

Monopoly Man in Top Hat Well-Known Member

That's interesting that you've obviously found a way to make the commute bearable. Good to know as a prospective purchaser!

Wonder if anyone commutes from that place next to RNP that has the ferry to Cronulla?

12. The Falcon

Bundeena, Maianbar? I’m sure they do, and would be fine a couple days a week but a bit tough full time I reckon.

The whole Shire commute thing is going to be highly variable depending on which suburb, time, destination. It’s 18klms from heathcote to cronulla...huge area !

13. sesemrub

sesemrub Well-Known Member

Is there any easy way of seeing where these are?

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Google Earth, as you can usually work out where they are as you zoom in/out you can see green lines as the transmission lines aren't built under, then just drop into street view to confirm

sesemrub likes this.
  15. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Yes, they cross over from Bonnet Bay, through Jannali, Kareela, Sylvania, Taren Point, then right in front of those new Woolooware apartments around Shark Park. Ruins the $2m view when you’ve got 240,000 volts in front of you :D

The Falcon likes this.
  16. sesemrub

sesemrub Well-Known Member

Thanks I've seen them now. Are these unique to The Shire as I've not noticed them in other parts of Sydney and presumed the power was all underground.

17. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

They are all over Sydney. The really big ones come down mostly from the power stations on the Central Coast and the Hunter, to major substations at Dural and Kemps Creek. From Dural, the lines go via St Ives to East Lindfield, then underground to the CBD. And also South to Carlingford.

Most of the other lines come down over the Hills and Western Sydney to Kemps Creek, and then out to Penrith and south east to Padstow. From there to Homebush and across the Sutherland Shire.

I only know all of this because of some amazing runs through the national parks that are built from the access trails :)

18. Dii

Dii Member

Hey @Stoffo

Any opinion about Jannali? I've been looking for units in the shire but can only find good ones in Miranda or Jannali. However, Jannali units are much nicer and "cheaper". What do you think? Also wondering that F6 could drive price even more...

Thanks,

19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Hey @Dii
    Welcome to the madness :rolleyes:
    We originally looked in/around Jannali way back in late 2010.
    It was a lower socio-economic area, a lot of older fibro places
    It has been undergoing change ever since, lot's of knock down rebuild or development.
    Units popping up nearer to the station and subdivision (I know of one slightly off corner block that may soon be hitting the market).
    Jannali station upgrade, also more trains now stop there !
    Woolworths development under discussion with council for some time
    The current "acquisition" debacle by state gov for the multi level railway carpark
    Yes, it is definitely going places :D
    Kind of reminds me of Pakington street Geelong West 20-30 years ago :cool:
    It had/maybe still has a village atmosphere (though that may be gone, with the pub gone/redeveloped and Woolworths moving in........)
    Still money to be made there ;)
    Miranda, not for me......
    Too many units = competition, lots of current construction = future competition, and people like flashy new, but the cheaper construction may cause future issues/costs also.
    Kirrawee behind the industrial is also a potential area for future growth in the PPOR market.
    We have a top spot in Sutho, wish we had the serviceability to have bought more in years past :(
    Units, well the body corporate and strata managers are good at draining the funds, better to look for smaller unit blocks, or if you can stretch a duplex/house.
    The F6 is forever away :mad:
    If Govco had any brains they'd have built it 20 years ago at a quarter of the cost :oops:
    Local traffic is a :confused:, worse on weekends, the thru traffic needs the F6 :rolleyes:
    We bought in Heathcote years ago, based on the F6 happening, waiting...........
    @Ace in the Hole is also local/Miranda area with good advice on buy and hold :)
    Happy to chat any time, PM me.
    Cheers
    Chris

20. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Anyone keen for a Shire meetup? I can host. I'm free 15th March.

Stoffo and Kr@mer like this.