Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Sustainable Property Development (Apartments)

Discussion in 'Development' started by Zii, 19th Oct, 2015.

1. Zii

Zii Member

Hi All,

I'm currently studying Mechanical Engineering, and I'm doing a course on Sustainability - in this course, I have an assignment directly related to Property (apartments specifically). I have to investigate the use of Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) in Apartment buildings and to compare the environmental effects of using CLTs vs. Traditional Materials for building Apartments.

[Cross Laminated Timber is essentially the same as Plywood but on a larger scale; large enough to build a wall with and be part of the buildings structural support.]

It's a very detailed investigation that looks into the materials and processes used:
    • Manufacturing of materials
    • Delivery of materials
      • Type of transportation
      • Weight/Size and Cargo capacity of transportation
      • Fuel used by transportation
    • Quantities of materials of used
    • Disposal of waste material
      • Where is the waste disposed
      • How is it transported from the construction site to the disposal site
    • Construction process
      • Resources consumed via construction
    As you can see from the list above, I essentially need the same information that a Builder or Engineer would need to construct the building for the assignment.

Is there anyone who has this type of information regarding an apartment that is planned to be built, or is being built, or has been built?

Where can I get this kind of information, and who should I contact to gain the info?

Lastly, is this type of information easy to attain or will I need to go through legal processes, red tape and paperwork to get it? (Assignment is due in 3 weeks).

Thanks In Advance,

Zii

Links With Examples of CLTs:

Lendlease Timber Solutions: http://www.lendlease.com/timbersolutions

Wood Solutions CLT: http://www.woodsolutions.com.au/Wood-Product-Categories/Cross-Laminated-Timber-CLT