Survey for Portfolios Generated during Somersoft

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Property Twins, 21st Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi guys / @Sim ,

With Property Chat now starting off and Somersoft forums being laid to rest, having made a huge difference for so many of us, it would be great if there was some sort of an anonymous survey of: Portfolio value before joining Somersoft and portfolio value after joining Somersoft

Then come up the the gross portfolio value of the respondents...then perhaps by way of maths, determine a potential portfolio size of SS members (as not everyone will fill the survey!)..

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    MsAli

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

A good suggestion.

It would be helpful for stats if the survey allowed values of individual purchases to be entered and date ( month/year only ) of settlement and maybe LVR for the purchase. Could then generate some interesting stats. Data would need to be anonymised in some way.

3. Property Twins

I think purchase dates and LVR may be an over kill?

I'd be keen to know where did the Somersoftian ended up investing over the course of their stay on Somersoft.

But if that's still too much info, at least keen to know how it contributed to people's overall portfolio gross value at this point in time, as it was accumulated since joining the forum (and prior to when they came on SS).

4. Property Twins

@wombat777 - if not individual purchases, perhaps the current 'LVR' across the portfolio would be a good stat.

5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Time investing/age would play a big part of this.
    For the older members, they were likely investing before Somersoft, and before we had the internet.
    For the younger generations,many would have found Somersoft before they started investing.

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Useful data for stats would also include postcode of purchase and rent. Could then start to get a picture of yields across the portfolios or multiple investor portfolios. Further grouping of stats could be by location.

I guess the stats need to include PPORs.

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

what about:
    • total value of portfolio
    • qty of IP's (combine units and houses)
    • yield average aross all. (based on market value??)
    The above can give some average IP prices and yields, plus include somehow the years from first IP purchase or SS impact somehow... years on SS while investing??
    or somehow a score or rating to the impact of SS on the portfolio growth. Say your the smartest now, without SS you may have known 30% of what you know today?? or not have not got to IP 2 or 3 ..... Thats the tricky part

8. Property Twins

I'm happy to facilitate it (come up with survey and collate results) if property chat does give an opportunity to do an anonymous survey. ...

Look forward to Sim's response

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

For me there would also need to be an additional category, being the date I started lurking, and the date I formally joined the forum. Once I joined I didnt actively post much for a while (cause I didnt feel I could add value to the conversation at that point in time)... personally it would be nice to see my number of SS posts by date!

10. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

We acquired our entire portfolio before I ever knew about SS...5 IP's and a PPoR (no.4).

Then we sold one of the IP's before moving to the USA in 2005, and I found SS while over there in 2007.

Haven't bought an IP since.

Not because we didn't want to; after we returned from the USA in 2008, we decided to use the next lot of PPoR equity to buy a business in 2009, rather than another pathetic income producing IP,

The business was supposed to provide a better income, and then springboard future IP investments.

But that didn't happen and we have been hamstrung for DSR ever since.

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2015
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

And zee purpose of zis....please Sind1....:)

12. Property Twins

Just to see the difference SS made...plus the gross $$ would be interesting to see.......so much can be determined from this data within SS. No commercial reason. Can't think of any...

13. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

The somersoft years have been a huge influence/resource personally speaking.

I joined somersoft back in 2004 after we had just finished building our first PPOR in Point Cook in Melbourne in 2003.

We were struggling to pay the mortgage in 2004....we were going backwards, neither the wife or I were on high wages....we had a $300k mortgage and it was draining us! It's funny looking back (wasn't at the time),

We only became IP investors when I did the figures and realised we would be better off financially to rent out our nice shiny new house and move to a smaller cheaper (closer to family also) house in the South East in Carrum Downs.

Cashflow month to month was better owning 2 properties and living in the cheaper of the 2.....this got me thinking...hmmm...maybe we should try collecting some more for the future....

That was 2005.

10 years later through hard work and "better than average" money management, we have been fortunate to have put ourselves in the position to collect a decent array of properties in Melbourne and Brisbane.

So from zero in 2005 to where we are today in 2015 I can say that somersoft has been a constant source of motivation and information, instrumental in keeping us on track to invest for our future.

I look forward to propertychat continuing to do the same for us and others willing to grow!!