Survey for home improvement

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Burramys, 12th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

My PPOR is nothing special, just another house, flat land, no heritage aspects, good construction. I'm having several verandahs and small rooms built, with the rooms mainly under the eaves, sticking out a little. The architect said that a survey is needed before the reno plans can be drawn, and a surveyor said that plans are needed before the survey is done. The architect advised that an external survey is needed, and a surveyor said that internal and external surveys are needed. Fortunately I am used to being confused. Another mentioned a feature survey internal and external. The quotes so far have a big range, with the most expensive double the cost of the lowest one.

Can someone please advise what is needed? Thanks.

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

A Panadol and a good lie down

Scott No Mates and bmc like this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Most surveying companies can do a survey of the block, exterior points and internal layout so that the architect has all the information. They don't really like doing internal work because it's fiddly but you will be able to find someone who will do it.
    The alternative is to get the surveyor to just do the outside and exterior then employ someone to do all the internal measurements and edit the survey DWG to create the internal layout.

lixas4 likes this.
  4. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

sounds like you have misunderstood or become confused with the terminology

are you lodging a DA ?

if so council will have a list of mandatory survey requirements. one of which will be the external feature survey. AHD datum. ridge heights, floor levels. adjoining structures, window locations, etc. etc.

if you are proposing to alter the footprint, the existing structures will also be required to be shown relative to the boundary. with "wall to boundary" dimensions signed by a registered Surveyor.

as a Surveyor I can confirm we can, and do, internal surveys. it's a very common request for retro fitting of complex structures.

typically the accurate survey will be prepared so the architect knows what stands on the block and where. it will assist him with the design.

the internal is generally to benefit the architect, structural engineers etc when accurate measurements are required.

if the architect engages the surveyor (preferred) he will give a brief of what is required.

Paul@PAS and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. Burramys

Thanks. I was out of Panadol so I smoked a joint, and nothing much seemed to matter. The architect has a pretty good undimensioned plan, and that may serve as a starting point for for the surveyor. There is no DA, just building and maybe planning permits. There are two low quotes about $1500 and one nearly $3000. I'll probably engage one of the lower price surveyors.

6. Burramys

The house is about 40 years old. My understanding is that when a property has fences in place for such a long time, the positions are taken to be the boundaries. My garage and the one next door are brick, separate structures, 50 mm apart, so the boundary is in the middle.

One surveyor has said that a re-establishment survey is needed, and that the Surveyor General should be advised. Part of the new build is just inside the boundary, which is hopefully okay, like the garages.

Is a re-establishment survey needed? TIA.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Generally not in Australia as the Real Property Act applies to the majority of land in the country), maybe in post-feudal England or for unqualified Old Systems Titles.

Only an assumption unless you find a previous survey.

Personally, I would be questioning the necessity for the interior of the house to be surveyed (especially the sections to be demolished or unaffected by works) - is your designer incapable of holding a tape/ultrasonic measure? Generally, unless the structure is complex,as noted by @bmc, an internal survey is unnecessary.

An external survey for boundary definition & location of the existing structures and neighbour's windows is required to allow the preparation of shadow diagrams, overlooking and direct sight lines.

bmc likes this.
  8. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

a licensed (registered) surveyor by law is the only person able to mark your boundary or sign a plan stating measurements to boundaries.

i would recommend taking their advice.

VIC laws are different to NSW regarding fences and occupation so maybe @lixas4 can clarify.

are they providing the same service.
    make sure you are comparing all the items listed in their quote.
    a "survey" doesnt cover every possible scenario. you will (or your architect) need a specific scope appropriate for your development

external detail
    AHD
    adjoining detail. floors ridges, windows etc
    shadow diagrams
    contour (0.5) interval
    internal floor plans
    ceiling heights
    boundary definition
    3D modelling points cloud
    Revit modelling
    etc
    etc
    etc

Last edited: 14th Oct, 2021
    lixas4 likes this.
  9. Burramys

Thanks. I was unaware that the boundaries as defined by the long-established fences and garages may be subject to variation. My architect says that there are no overlooking, shadowing, or sight lines aspects. There's no demolition. All works are exterior. This is what one surveyor says.

Survey of the existing house including:
    Floor ridge and eave heights, locations of windows, and if required their heights and sills.
    All features and levels of the property.
    Fences or boundary indicators, such as pegs, on the property,
    Contours (the rise and fall of the land) to 0.2 metres
    The set back and distance of neighbouring properties, if obtainable, and their features including ridge, eave, floor level and window locations.
    Significant vegetation on the property and the neighbouring properties,
    Services on site such as gas electricity, water and any other services we see on the property, the overall size of the building,
    Locations and size of the rooms,
    Ceiling heights, floor levels, doors and windows and their locations and their sizes.
    All levels to Australian Height Datum using two permanent marks provided by the Surveyor Generals Board.

It is unclear if this includes a re-establishment survey.

10. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

ask him to clarify

in NSW we are now asked by many councils to sign the detail survey plan when the boundary is shown.

therefore all structures are accurately defined relative to the property boundary.

11. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

This is from the surveyor who quoted 1500?

I cant see a title re-establishment, they are probably a feature only surveyor? Ie, not licensed for title surveys.

Based on your description, we would do a title re-establishment, feature and level survey which would be approx 3k depending on site characteristics.

Edit: not taking on new clients, its insanely busy at the moment.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  12. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

ditto

lixas4 and Scott No Mates like this.
  13. Burramys

In the past I've had quotations that were very significantly above the rest. One good example was rendering and tiling a bathroom, $15,000. The quotation should have included the kitchen, but did not. I had the bathroom and kitchen rendered and tiled for about $4000.

Several weeks ago the architect said to get a survey but did not say what sort. Most of the quotations were $1500-2000, with one at about $3000. The low ones are all feature surveys. A short time ago the architect has said that a re-establishment survey is desirable. I've asked the low quotation surveyors if they can do a re-establishment survey.

Can someone please advise if there's a surveyor list by company? This Check if a Surveyor is Registered - Surveyors Registration Board of Victoria seems to have people, and I do not know who may be doing the job in the company. TIA.

14. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

why doesn't the architect organise this for you.
    surely he would have a past contact.
    getting the client to order something he knows nothing about is not the way to go.

otherwise contact a company that has registered surveyors.

there may be 2 main components that could be carried out at the same time.
    1. boundary redefinition or (re-establishment) (that may or may not include physical marking on site) not sure of the common practice in VIC. subject to what is required by the consultants
    2. level and feature survey

or options
    3. if required - an internal survey
    4. if required - setout for proposed construction
    5. if required - final compliance report

only a registered surveyor can sign for the boundary work (cadastral)

Westminster likes this.