NSW Surry Hills

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Liarliar, 22nd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Liarliar

Liarliar Well-Known Member

hate to say it... but Surry Hills area seems to be going down in prices for apartments.

Was going up up for the last few years with crazy prices now like looks like going slow and prices advertised lower than last year.

Is it a good time to get into this market ?
    I think Surry Hills may go down a lil further yet .

2. DowntownBlock

DowntownBlock Well-Known Member

Yep, I've got a friend selling a reno who had to knock $100k off expectations ($1.35 2 bedder)... Sellers getting more urgent, buyers getting more patient according to REA's.

Depends on your price range... Everyone waiting to see what impact 8% foreign tax has on NSW buyers post 1st July. Canada experience with 10% foreign buyers tax and 10% drop provides some guidance . . .

3. Liarliar

Liarliar Well-Known Member

Studios and 1 bedrooms were past 500k 2 years ago now Studios are going under 400k.

I could of sold my Studio IP early last year for over 450k to 480k now I'm lucky to get early 390 to early 400's

some people would say it's a good time to buy I guess but then how do u know it's going to go up quick again?

Maybe take a long time ? Maybe next year it will be under 200k and finally 100k !

10 minute walk to Sydney City you would think it would be the last suburb to go down !

Maybe share market is better, what a ridiculous govt this NSW govt is , hope she (the NSW Premier) gets voted out , it's ok for her sitting over in her rich North Shore home bringing in foreign buyers tax and battlers like me have to work hard and struggle everyday as my IP's go down further

I really hate this NSW Liberal Govt, lucky the Greens represent the City areas and I will vote for them

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2017
    Whitecat likes this.
  4. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

My girlfriend just sold her studio in Surry Hills for 620k. Took a while to get any offers.

5. DowntownBlock

Mkt has definitely changed. Certainly no more crazy prices in Sydney...

6. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of development in the area. I think the inner east is a better bet for apartments

7. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Used to work in that area 6ish years back (has consistently been popular with the ad agency crowd). Price drop isn't surprising given it's already pretty well gentrified. Might be a good pick up for a portfolio that's got an inner-Sydney-city sized gap.

8. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Pentanol and Gockie like this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Everywhere apartments are going up but school capacities aren't keeping up pace! Schools that can take more capacity or more schools are needed in many areas.

10. Northboy

Northboy Well-Known Member

^ And THAT'S why prices in Surry Hills might be coming off the boil. $620k for a studio. Just nuts.

11. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

I actually think she would have done better if it was a few months ago. Another studio in the same building sold for 640k a few months ago.

12. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Will you sell yours?

Whitecat likes this.
  13. drfuzzy

drfuzzy Well-Known Member

Living in a larger studio/1 bedder in Surry Hills. Rent going up 4.5% per year, two years in a row now. Conversions of warehouses to apartments all around me. If its slowing - I don't really see it as a renter.

14. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Now is the time guys to get in on the Sydney City rollercoaster by investing in Surry Hills / Darlinghurst areas.
    5 to 10 minutes walk to the City Centre this area was going gangbusters in price the last few years now slowing right down and theres bargains to be had .

You will never be short of tenants in this area but buy now because obviously the prices will go up again eventually

Studios are now going below 400k but rents going up !

15. Scandrew

Scandrew Well-Known Member

Maybe with the upcoming infrastructure upgrades (light rail, metro) people are happy to seek other better bang for buck options with slightly increased travel times.

16. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

As a young professional, we are keeping our eye on the prices to pick up something either close to the city or in the North Shore for the easy commutes to good schools in the future. Definitely a good time for OO, and not necessarily a bad time for investors if you are investing for the long term!

17. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Rules in Canada are not uniform. New rules apply to Vancouver are not the same. As Toronto.

The 8% surcharge is a brutal instrument I agree. Easy public browny points and cash grab. I think 4% is more than enough considering additional Land tax grab as well.

18. DowntownBlock

You are a RE agent right?

When would be a bad time in Sydney for OO's?

What conditions would you have to see to make it not a good time? Another -10%??

Thanks

19. alps

alps Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    So what’s everyones predictions on Surry Hills/Darlinghurst for 2019, especially for terrace houses?
    Definitely seen the area come off the boil over the last 12 months, with properties like 60 Taylor Street Darlinghurst, 3 Nichols Street and 623 Bourke Street Surry Hills selling recently for much less that what they would have sold for at the peak of the cycle.
    Curious to hear your thoughts?

Whitecat likes this.
  20. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Can you pm me a link. I'm interested in what this is like for that price. But ok if not willing to share