Superannuation: lowest-cost LIC/ETF implementation

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Zenith Chaos, 22nd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Sharesight has the market price as .07008 for HGG 1/3/05. This seems way out from Commsec, yahoo and google - there appears to be some variance as to how splits are taken into account.

Yahoo Finance has it opening at 4.74 on the 1st March 2005 - yahoo appears to not adjust for splits.
    Commsec around ~$1.70 which appears to weight the price for splits.

Where does sharesight source its data?

It would appear to me dividend yield is calculated on buy price.

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where sharesight sources it's data.

If you (or anyone else) is interested, I have attached the spreadsheet used to bulk-download stock prices from yahoo. The problem is that the yahoo API is not very reliable. Sometimes the queries get rate-limited and this produces errors or incorrect results.

The data I used came from the "Close Price" tab.

I have a feature request open with sharesight for them to make it easier to import trades for backtesting. i.e. rows with ticker, date, total trade amount (e.g. $1000)

Attached Files:

Redwing and Perthguy like this.
  3. jhmtaylor

jhmtaylor Well-Known Member

I can recommend UNIP. Their product is very flexible. If it is legal you can do it. Cost is about $800PA for EOFY accounting, tax return, audit certificate and actuarial certificate.
    Very helpful staff and they do not work 9 to 5. I have called them on a Sunday at 5PM to leave a message and they called me back within minutes.

Redwing, trinity168 and Nodrog like this.
  4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I found this;

"Establishes new SMSFs for free, with very low cost ongoing admin. The limitation here is that you have to use e-superfund for your end of year admin for at least 1 year (or pay an exit fee), Comsec as your stockbroker, and ANZ V2 plus as the bank account. They will also limit some types of investment (e.g. can't trade spot FX, ect). They have a list of approved investments."

I have been busy at the moment so haven't had a chance to check properly. Their current offer of free establishment and free first year ends the end of this month and 3 days isn't enough time to research.

I'll be investigating primarily;
    - How difficult is it to move elsewhere if service and/or fees change
    - Can I just transfer the admin or do I need to liquidate as it appears this isn't clear
    - What the transition to pension mode is like

These are my main concerns at this point in time. $799 fee is reasonable and I am only after basic share investment functionality for day to day use

orangestreet and Perthguy like this.
  5. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

You're back @jhmtaylor . Great to see you.

Can you explain what you mean by "If it is legal you can do it.".

Edit: rereading the post I am guessing you mean that there is full flexibility within the SMSF within the constraints of the law.

Last edited: 28th Mar, 2017
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I will throw in another candidate for consideration http://www.xpresssuper.com.au/

I only found the web site about 5 minutes ago so know literally nothing about it.

Moving if you don't like the service is a big one. If you have to sell everything the tax could be very high.

The transition to pension mode is the other big one. Like moving,if you have to sell everything to open a pension account, the tax could be very high.

7. jhmtaylor

jhmtaylor Well-Known Member

I would not say that I am back, just pop in occasionally. What I mean by if it is legal you can do it is. "Use any Australian bank account, any broker, any asset class" Eg publicly listed shares, listed and unlisted trusts, real estate plus more. If APRA approve it for SMSF, they are happy to oblige. If you have a genuine (at arms length) investment which is unorthodox call them and sound them out. They are nice people. Ask for Ashok, a top bloke.

Gockie, Perthguy and Nodrog like this.
  8. Zenith Chaos

Thank you mate.

In the jungle, the mighty jungle
    The lion sleeps tonight
    In the jungle the quiet jungle
    The lion sleeps tonight

A-weema-weh, a-weema-weh, a-weema-weh, a-weema-weh

[​IMG]

trinity168 and Perthguy like this.
  9. pwt

pwt Well-Known Member

Did you end up going for the SMSF? I've only recently taken a closer look at my SMSF, currently with BT which is very expensive (employer's default). Initially I was favouring switching to Hostplus or Australian Super but the current offer from eSuperfund makes it very attractive. Keen to hear what you have chosen as I've similar questions as you did.

10. Zenith Chaos

I'm going for Sunsuper index funds. Total fees 0.185% + $1.50 per week for balanced 50/50 Australia / International.

Pier1 and pwt like this.
  11. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Do all the funds allow in-specie transfers out of the fund if you decide to change funds? I saw esuperfund allows it in (as I suspect all/most do?)

12. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Any chance you could run a futuretest on each individual stock in the ASX 300. The next 15 years should cover my investment time frame.
    That would be great thanks.

158 and Snowball like this.
  13. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Cranking up my time machine now.

Pier1, trinity168 and Redwing like this.
  14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

15. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

16. Warped

Warped Member

might be a little off topic but does anyone have any thoughts on legalsuper's direct investment option? i know that @ErYan (and others) were disappointed with ING changes.