Superannuation for Beginners

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by skater, 14th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes. Some also from certain members as well, although most of the regulars are good, and I don't mind the humour that comes up either. It's just the annoying one or two. (not you)

Thankyou again.

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Thankyou, although some assumptions are incorrect. I am 60. Hubby is a toy boy. :D Not selling current PPOR, however previous PPOR I'm contemplating my options.

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Yep, direct shares in SMSF

Jess Peletier and MWI like this.
  4. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

This is kind of similar to what we are going to do. Hoping to have around 600k in our SMSF in high yielding shares come 2027 or 2028 (after the crash I hope!). Imputation credits are the icing on the cake if they are still around.

skater likes this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Good synopsis of how tax effective super can be

Trick to save $2658 tax every month

Note the super limit for tax free amount via indexation is going to 1.7m. So assuming a 4% withdrawal rate can have 136k tax free. Which is equivalent of almost 200k pre-tax.

Enough to keep everyone in bickies for a while....

Baker and Millie like this.
  6. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

I've just shown a simple example where a couple can have assets of $7M and still one member of the couple can still get the full pension.

The same scenario could apply for an even higher level of assets.

I'm not saying it is moral, but it is possible and perfectly legitimate.

skater likes this.
  7. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

I read that article recently, and thought it was written in simple terms and thought of @skater and her request for info.

skater likes this.
  8. RENI99

RENI99 Well-Known Member

Currently the 330K bring forward is limited if your Transfer Super Balance (TSB) is over 1.48M. from 1.48M to 1.59 its 220K (under bring forward) from 1.59 to 1.69M its 110K
    Downsizing 300K is not limited by anything except your age and owning for 10 years plus has been your main residence at some point.
    Concessional catchup is limited to having TSB under 500K.
    And agree it is something that requires professionals to advise on as can be complicated.

wylie and skater like this.
  9. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

No work test for under 67 - so you can use the concessional cap to reduce tax on property earnings (I think).

skater likes this.
  10. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Hi Skater

We have our investments in super / Personal and trust to spread the risk , but it's all in property at this stage .

Big advantage of super is tax , ie potentially none .

We're currently thinking of selling something privately and putting a lump sum into super so we can buy another in our super .

With two of you , you could potentially put up to 660 K into super . basically 110 k / year for each of you and you can pay that three years in advance .

One option available.

We have an LOC available so we could put in more money at this stage ( but personally the money is borrowed so not tax deductable ) and then when we sell in the next year or two , pay down the money we borrowed personally via the LOC . Effectively bringing forward the money we're putting into the super .

Our second NDIS we're doing is in our super , so the income from that will be tax free in our retirement . To build something in your super , you can't borrow , so you have to have the cash to do it .

We are going to start putting extra money we get into shares or funds , but we've done well with property so happy to still go that way at the moment but wll shift in the nextr couple of years

Cliff

wylie, skater and MTR like this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

What happens to funds in Super when you die? I know you can direct who the funds go to, but does the Government take a chunk? AND....does it get added to the Super of the Beneficiary, or go to them personally, like any other inheritance?

Islay and SatayKing like this.
  12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Short answer is Yep - the Government can take a chunk.

Tax on benefits

"If you're not a dependant of the deceased, you can only receive the benefit as a lump sum. The taxable component of the payment will be entitled to a tax offset that ensures the rate of income tax is as follows:
    • taxed element – maximum of 15% plus Medicare levy
    • untaxed element – maximum of 30% plus Medicare levy."
    The taxed element is simply the money you put in, e.g. $27,500 and on which you claimed a personal tax deduction so 15% in and 15% out plus Medicare levy - and Medicare levy surcharge if the non-dependant doesn't have health insurance. And up to 10% more if they have a HELP debt.

Don't worry about the untaxed element. Mainly only applies to those who are in a defined benefit scheme such as former public service schemes which are now closed anyway.

Money you put in on an after-tax basis isn't taxed.

Others will likely have additional views on the matter.

skater and Islay like this.
  13. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

What @SatayKing said for the first part of your question. The second part of the question - it is paid to your nominated beneficiary not into their super. There are a few different scenarios possible here but this is the short answer.

skater and SatayKing like this.
  14. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Negative Nancy! :)

You didn't include this bit from your link:

If you are a dependant of the deceased, you do not need to pay tax on the taxable component of a death benefit if you receive it as a lump sum. If you receive the benefit as an income stream, different rates of tax may apply depending on the factors mentioned above.

15. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

No. You fail to see my cunning plan.

To entice people to read and explore the full contents of the links I may post.

Shazz@, skater, Islay and 1 other person like this.
  16. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The trustee of the superfund must pay out your death benefits as soon as practical. These can only go to 'dependants' or to your estate. This is something you would need legal advice on.

skater likes this.
  17. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Having been down this road myself, my recommendation would be for each person in a couple to lodge BDN (Binding Death Nominations) with their super fund to have payouts to their estates.

This way the funds will eventually be dealt with per the relevant wills.

Baker and Shazz@ like this.
  18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Not a good blanket rule because if the estate is challenged or a family provision claim is made the super would be part of the estate and thereby at risk.

Each person should seek their own legal advice - from a solicitor - on the best course of action.

But in anycase it is best to assume the estate will receive the super and for the will to take this into account and to consider optional testamentary super proceeds trusts to save tax if there any beneficiaries that are dependents still alive - but it might also be best to avoid these too.

19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

BDNs may lapse. Or be defective. There can be many reasons why NOT to pass super through a will

- reversionary pensions may immediately offer a spouse financial stability vs the BDN, will route incl paying funeral expenses.
    - Time delays
    - Unintended consequences
    - Failure to maintain BOTH legal documents. This is very common. Usually combined with invalid BDNs. Hence then the fund trustee gets to choose !!

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Another newbie question.

Say, I have an income of $100k pa from Super, which is supposed to be untaxed, but then I have other income. I'm guessing I only get taxed on the other income?

Islay likes this.