Super Splitting

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Pat M, 4th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pat M

Pat M New Member

As it stands today, 10 years out from retirement, it appears I will exceed the TBC (even allowing for 1 or 2 more increases), however my wife's super balance will not exceed it.
    Between employer contributions and salary sacrificing we will both aim to hit our contribution limits every year until retirement.
    How and when can I draw down some of my own super and deposit into hers?

2. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

Search for spouse splitting form on your superfund website. I just sent my form on 1st Jul for last FY

Ross36 likes this.
  3. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

The ATO have the information page - Contributions splitting

I split 85% of the contributions I've paid that financial year into my partner's super fund. I don't think you can do it for contributions made prior to the FY immediately past (if you were doing it today, you can only transfer up to 85% of the contributions made to your super fund in the 2020-21 FY).

My fund, Hostplus were helpful in explaining how contributions splitting works, and other options.

Ross36 likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

1. Spouse splitting allows up to 85% of annual concessional contributions.
    2. Withdrawal strategies that allow you to draw super and gift this to spouse - Then consider how to use tis cash for concessional OR non-concessional contributions. Dont ignore "catch up"
    3. Sale of eligible property and use of downsizer cap and this will bypass other caps
    4. Divorce. ;) It is a way to re balance super. A bit dramatic I will admit
    5. Small business CGT concession planning