Technology & Social Media Super slow internet

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Johnny Cashflow, 7th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Finally TPG got their asses here and connected the Internet. After 1 month when the originally said 10 days

Can't even load a YouTube video

Check download speed ...

image.png

Lol

this is probably the average speed I had as low as 47kbs at one point.

Happy I only got this for a 6 month contract as I will cancel and just hotspot my phone like I use to do

2. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Was this the set up page for the TPG set up??

God that would be so frustrating :mad:

pcmcia1.gif

Last edited: 7th May, 2016
    Davothegreat likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hahaha - you should try moving to the country ... speed is lousy ... assuming you can even connect in the first place

4. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

the one thing I really hate is when i'm trying to load a youtube video and you have to wait a minute or two for it to buffer so you don't have to stop and start the video because your connection is slow.. #firstworldproblems

5. Guest

Guest Guest

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Give them a buzz and see if there's anything that can be done to speed it up. I used them in an old ppor and have no complaints.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I swapped to TPG to try to getter faster internet. They did a line test and said "good to go" and I had to sign up before Telstra tech came out to bring the copper into the house. We had copper til we went to cable.

Tech had so much trouble getting a clear line but finally connects us and leaves. Within ten minutes line is lost and the fight begins to cancel the (no)service. My fault apparently for signing up before knowing the copper is old and brittle but I couldn't get that information until I sign up and was relying on TPG giving all clear to go ahead. So I cannot win!

I brought in the ombudsman to try to avoid $850 fee for a service we had for ten minutes and ended up paying $75 or risk them digging their heels in.

No wonder people stick with less than perfect... because the alternative can be even worse.

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Johnny, you're in heaven with those speeds!

I'm with voda and don't get anywhere near it.

But I suppose bogans are a bit slow themselves so it doesn't really matter. All good.

Johnny Cashflow likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We have similar crapness. Ours is due to extremely old copper but I believe NBN was available as of last week so we are changing pronto!!
    We use our crap ADSL or a Vivid Wireless 4G which is much faster.

10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Your speed is due to a bad phone line/internal wiring/incorrectly installed splitter. As an ISP, TPG have more than enough bandwidth to support your connection

11. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

An old colleague lives on the sunshine coast in suburbia - she's gotta rely on wireless bb in her ohone as they don't have adsl2 in her village.

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and, legally, Telstra only have to provide coppers of "phone" worthiness to the house - not internet quality.

I can't understand why all this money spent on fibre optic, rather than everything simply going to wireless/satellite

14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

The telstra minimum committment is for adsl 1 at 1500/256 sync rate. Above that you are at the mercy of the copper gods

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF