Super Rollover to Host Plus

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by San2018, 28th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. San2018

San2018 Well-Known Member

I think it’s easy to answer for experts and maybe a dumb question.
    I am moving my super from Colonial Super to Host Plus (balanced) and here is the allocation split at the moment. Balance ~115K
    - Cash, AU and global fixed Interest: 14%
    - Property: 7%
    - Au shares: 34%
    - Global Shares: 45%
    Since the market is crashing at the moment, returns are in negative in my Colonial Super account. I am researching the better option to move funds to Host plus. I see four options. Feel free to advise if there is a better option.
    - Roll over all funds to Host Plus/ Balanced at one go
    - Staged rollover approach – move the funds which have non-share market exposure first then move the rest when the market picks up
    - Monthly rollover approach – 6 equal splits in next six months to balance the ups and downs of the market?
    - Move all allocations to cash and wait for the bottom of the market and then invest? But not what sure what is the bottom and when it comes. Thoughts?

2. San2018

I did further analysis on the allocation and understand that these allocations are spread across multiple options so I can't simply rollover funds which have non-share market exposure. So I need to chose from the following 3 options. Appreciate any guidance.

- Roll over all funds to Host Plus/ Balanced at one go
    - Monthly rollover approach – 6 equal splits in next six months to balance the ups and downs of the market?
    - Move all allocations to cash and wait for the bottom of the market and then invest? But not sure what is the bottom and when it comes. Thoughts?

Many thanks,

3. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

As you are selling shares in one fund (colonial) and buy shares in another (host) you are selling and buying in the same market. If it were me I would pick a date in the future and roll it all over in one go. Not advice just my thinking

San2018 likes this.
  4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Host Plus presumably has lower fees than Colonial? In which case I would just move everything over immediately in one hit, no point waiting. I can't see any benefit to the staged approach, and if you are thinking of going cash to guard against further market failures, you can always go into cash with Host Plus.

5. San2018

Thanks for reply Islay and Rex.

Since I have opened the account (FirstChoice Employer Super) through my employer, I am receiving the Service and Admin fee rebate which is $20 month (Credit to my super balances) but I think their asset mgmt fee is high and returns are low.

FirstChoice Geared Growth Plus- Mgmt fee : 3.97% : avg 5 year returns: 8.63%
    FirstChoice Lifestge 1980-84 - Mgmt fee : 1.09 % : avg 5 year returns: 6.78%
    FirstChoice Multi-Index Balanc - Mgmt fee : 1.55 % : avg 5 year returns: 5.61%

6. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Geez 1.55% for an indexed balanced strategy is pretty ordinary - Vanguard can do the same for 0.5% or less.

3.97% fee for the Geared strategy is very very high. I'm actually surprised at that number to be honest, but if true then you should get out as soon as possible.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Insurances?
    Death benefit nominations?
    Timing of when the fund permits sell down and exits and re-prices (often one day a week, many its Wednesday)....A rollover can take up to 28 days (or longer). Heaps of funds misuse the 28 days and just delay the rollover.