Super fund change needs financial planner ?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Casteller, 5th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

In your example $80k could be in the direct shares option where you select your own.

I believe it is a max of 20% TOTAL balance in any one listing - so $20k would be the max per stock

The remaining 20% balance can be placed into any of ING super's managed options.

There is the balanced (also called smart) option with no fees which is 50% cash accruing interest and 50% in "pre selected" shares - I am unsure of what they are as it is not listed other than 30% aussie, 10% international and 10% international hedged.

There are also "select" options which have a fees of 0.5% (capped at $1000) + 0.25% some of these options are 100% shares.

Therefore you can be 100% shares, you just pay some fees. I haven't done any calculations to see if I am better having 90% shares and 10% cash or 100% shares with some fees.

The "cash hub" is just the main holding account, it has an interest rate of the RBA rate minus 0.75%.

inspiredbyprop and oracle like this.
  2. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Thanks Hodor

Makes sense

Cheers,
    Oracle.

3. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Interesting reading the replies, thanks. Superannuation sure has changed a lot in the last 15 years, I have found a good flexible fund open for non-residents and am transferring my super into it (unfortunately the ING fund not available for non-res). The original fund (which I have been in 25 years) was very old style with fees approaching 2%, and little advice except for a planner who wanted over 1K to switch then ongoing advice fees... no thanks. Should have done it years ago.

Last edited: 26th May, 2016
    Perthguy and Corey Batt like this.
  4. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Love it @Hodor. I'm doing my research and considering doing the same as I can't justify the fees my current super fund charges.

5. Masih

Masih Well-Known Member

That's what inspecie or asset transfer is, where you transfer everything from super to pension without selling down your managed funds or shares so it doesnt trigger CGT event. Good idea to speak to an adviser or accountant to make sure it's the right thing to do or the best way of doing it.

Alex Straker and Perthguy like this.
  6. Alex Straker

Alex Straker Financial Life Coach Business Member

Agree it is a good idea to get advice, there is more to it than meets the eye. Cheapest option does not always mean best :) And not all advisers charge a trail on your asset ;)