Super for Lazy People - how to grow it if you don't want to SMSF

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by sash, 7th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

aus super did not have a lot of l9w cost options for funds most about 0.8% MER and indexed fund (only 1 available) performance was not great

2. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

So you don't need any funds from your IP sales, disposable income etc for pre'retirement needs?

From IP sales, disposable income, dividend income etc, I put a little in SMSF and most in my commsec account so I can access the commsec funds prior to retirement but still have my SMSF growing in the background.

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

you lil smarty....:D

this only my super plan...plan is to max ot over next 10 years will try to get to $1m plus and then if below $1.6m threshold will do a non concessional contribution for 300k before 60.

in parallel will also concentrate on a leveraged portfolio up to $1m. that i will drawdown from 55 yrs old to have income diversty. sellin 1 to 2 properties from 55 to 65 should get number of properties to 10 by then. with the occaisional buying of a bargain

4. Chris Au

Cool, always need fingers in a few pies, helps the universe to come together nicely... I'm all for chouces (as long as the pies taste good :D)

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

ya know what you mean....but too many chefs spoils a meal... lots here

6. Chris Au

Nah, don't worry about the other chefs...... When it comes down to execution, you only need to know what your fingers are doing and what pies taste good, ;)

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

few master chefs know their ingredients well and cook a michelin meal .....others prison slop

Chris Au likes this.
  8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Told ya so. Have you already triggered a CGT event? Or have I missed a step?

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

nah just got off oz super now deciding what to invest in....i feel like the village idiot....
    hard compared to property...i will get there evetually

Heinz57 likes this.
  10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Prison slop sounds about right for my ability:D.

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Perhap 3 star michelin

12. TazDevil_666

TazDevil_666 Well-Known Member

@sash check the pds - can only direct invest 80%, so will still need to keep 20% in index balanced or IFM aus shares etc. I have it in Index Balanced at the moment but am thinking the IFM option with that fee level could effectively be like an extra LIC albeit open ended and higher turnover. Need to investigate it further...

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yeah...ta..okay with that...as their funds also invest in Private Investments/Infrastructure stuff..which other funds do not have access to ..so offer some additional level of diversification.

Edinburgh likes this.
  14. TreeChange@50

TreeChange@50 Well-Known Member

Sorry to labour the point, but did Aus Super not have to 'sell down' your existing balance to effect the transfer, thus triggering CGT, albeit much smaller now than if you transferred out to Smsf/pension/other later on?

qak likes this.
  15. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

@sash -have you heard about apple check report to compare super funds? I have attached a online comparison I conducted but you can set specific criteria and compare the options.

Attached Files:

Jaik2012 likes this.
  16. Chris Au

oh yeah, relearning takes time..... analysing what city is performing is easier than what LIC/ETF/super fund provides the best option, but.. pushing through it.

now, back to topic... super funds.

17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

coreect...i did the transfer already the balance did not go down much. Lets see post transfer

18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Thanks will do...did not know this existed

19. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

With Aus super you need to find the DIY mix option, as an example 70/20/10 AU/Int’l/Diversified fixed interest can be put together for about 40bps. Fairly cheap for active management. For mine, I would avoid the index option with Oz super, it’s a asset allocation model that they will change from time to time, and I just can’t see them ever wanting that strategy to outperform their flagship (read higher cost) active multi asset products.

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

i agree Falcon. The Index option at Hostplus seems to be not too far off the overalk returns of their flagship balanced fund.