SUPA fund investments

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by raringsunny, 14th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. raringsunny

raringsunny New Member

My question is about how Superannuation investments work. My current contributions are going towards a specific fund (investment option - that’s moderate) with a breakdown of 30% in stocks and ~40% in international stocks. Irrespective of the breakdown, I want to know if I change the composition of this breakdown, the investments that are done up until now, will those remain as-is?

So if say for e.g. $10k was in international stocks, when I change the composition to have it invested somewhere else, will it also invest this $10k in the new option that I choose or will it continue to sit in the same international stock?

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

welcome to InvestChat ,

just to understand you correctly ...

do you want the existing investments to remain ( not be sold down ) and NEW investment cash placements to follow a new ratio ???

since this is a formal super fund ( some have had a LOT of bad press recently ) check and see if this change entails any extra fees and charges .,

the chances are you will have to contact your super fund directly and ask the question(s )

cheers

3. twisted strategies

please note some ASX listed stocks could arguably classed as 'international stocks ' as they generate a fair share of revenue from international sources ( shares like BHP , MQG , CSL , URW VUK , JHG and several others ) this could get you the best of both worlds

( DYOR )

4. raringsunny

raringsunny New Member

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, I’m trying to understand that the existing funds invested by the superannuation fund managers - will those change when I change the ratios or mix of investments effective today? Or will the funds invested so far continue to remain as-is invested per the current plan?

Hope this clarifies.

2 people like this.
  5. raringsunny

raringsunny New Member

Yes and I will check with them if the change in the investment mix entails any fees or charges.

2 people like this.
  6. twisted strategies

one option is to nave a seperate investment portfolio ( maybe SMSF if the new rules allow it )

and tweak and bias however you like ( the main reason i avoided a formal super fund )

although i am no huge fan of INTERNATIONAL focused ETFs there is a variety of them now for the price of standard brokerage ( if buying Australian domiciled ETFs ) and LICs should not be overlooked some are worth the extra fees ( imo )

if you go for the 'two fund option' you can just put in the compulsory contributions and keep that steady as it goes , and invest the extra in the new fund ( when you wish to )

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF