QLD Sunshine Coast

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MJS1034, 28th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

@bob shovel, fortunately I'm not a nurse, I'm in a role for which there is a national workforce shortage - phew! I put in an expression of interest with the SCHHS Workforce Planning Team in 2013, although I realistically won't be able to leave Vic for at least a couple of years anyway :(

2. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

Hi @bob shovel.

I haven't lived there for 18 months but by all reports the work side of things has improved massively.

The unemployment rate on the coast is still around 7% unsure if that's dropped or not over the last few years???

Along with the Kawana hospital development there is also the new "Maroochydore CBD" which is taking place of the old Horton park golf course. http://www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/sitePage.cfm?code=maroochydore-pda

As @chindonly said previously ^^^ the Caloundra south project is massive and in my opinion that will certainly help the Sunshine Coast residents who commute to Brisbane for work. It may even entice people who work and live in Brisbane to move the more liveable Subshine coast.

I'm heading up there in a months time. Be interested to see how it's all tracking up there.

Toon likes this.
  3. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Caloundra South will be a MASSIVE project. To The Coast like North Lakes is to Brisbane, and then some. But it will have a lifestyle all of it's own in my opinion. As it will have very limited access to the coastline itself. And is still a fair commute for Brissie workers to undertake. If and when they connect an eastern train line to Caloundra South this will improve the Brisbane commute vastly. Once established, I feel it will push prices further on The Coast proper as some people who have bought in Caloundra South realise it is not offering The Coastal lifestyle idealism they thought they were buying into. And will want to buy closer to the beach, which will still be an almost 20 minute drive away. But in saying that I'll probably buy a couple of IP's in Caloundra South early Stages as it will be an in demand mini city.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

but opening up all that land will allow houses to be built creating work, aling with cbd but what else? or is to get people to do the commute to the cit? like sydney-central coast?

5. Sonamic

It's supposed to be going now Bob. But there was a delay to the start date. Grossly underestimated Costings or some such. After all there is only one zero difference between 500k and 5 mill.

For many years as you know The Coast's main source of employment was tourism and building. Employment is diversifying. Building is still an old staple feeding a lot of kids. Most of the current Estates are coming to their last releases. Not enough new ones are opening. So they need to get a wriggle on with Caloundra South.

There are better wages to be had in Brisbane. But enough to want to spend up to 20 extra hours a week in the car to and fro? I'd rather be a bit poorer and spend more time with my family. New employment opportunities locally may change that in the near future though.

We shall see what the Development of the new Maroochydore CBD brings too. More new Construction. More new jobs. More diverse employment. And a bonafide "city centre" in our sleepy little beachside town. Who would've thought!

Jaye Kershler, Toon and MJS1034 like this.
  6. Jaye Kershler

Jaye Kershler Well-Known Member

I was just watching the local news here on Sunshine Coast nothing to get to excited about at the moment as it was just discussions.
    But there's talk about a tram line going from new Maroochydore cbd - right down to caloundra.

Hopefully it happens !
    would suit me very well for my first IP that's situated in the heart of Caloundra

Toon and MJS1034 like this.
  7. MJS1034

Any more talk of the tram line or how the other developments are progressing?

8. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Hi guys, love the sunshine coast, bloody warmer than Melbourne for sure. I will be there with a developer who is launching a new project in Caloundra. Happy to share if your interested, as I have invested here before - great fundamentals.

Exited about the area, particularly with the invasion of Chinese in the GC, with the Sunshine Coast seemingly real, showing a 'real' property cycle....

Cheers Ivan

Toon likes this.
  9. MJS1034

Hi Ivan,

I'd be very interested. When's the project being launched and what is it?

Im flying up to the Sunshine Coast on Sunday, looking forward to seeing how the developments are progressing.

10. Sonamic

Yes Ivan. Please share. Or PM me the details if it's a "boutique" development. :D

MJS1034 likes this.
  11. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

PM me details please.

12. ripas

ripas Member

keen too

13. Redwood

Sure guys, will do tomorrow or over the weekend, just got the drawings from the developer, will send tomorrow or over the weekend.

It is boutique, should see the penthouse!

Cheers Ivan

EN710 and MJS1034 like this.
  14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@Redwood Can I have the details too please? Flying there this Saturday (day trip)

15. Jaye Kershler

Jaye Kershler Well-Known Member

can I also please have details

MJS1034 likes this.
  16. Redwood

Sorry guys - I have not sent them, MJS 1034 how did you go up north (apart from the sun tan).

Will get to it in the next day.

17. MJS1034

Hi redwood,

Only arrived here yesterday, checked out my IP for the first time today, was a pretty strange experience actually.

Here for another 9 days so plenty more to do. Off to Brissy for a day trip to have a look around few suburbs there too.

Toon likes this.
  18. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Me too please, Cheers

19. Redwood

Hi there, Brissy is brutal at the moment, check out Mitchelton, great dynamics there.