QLD Sunshine Coast vs. Fraser Coast

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Toon, 27th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on which would be better? On the HTW property clock, Sunshine Coast is currently sitting at 9 o'clock, whilst Hervey Bay is at 7 o'clock. If you could only choose one, would it be better to get in at the lower point (but also higher yields) and wait out the next wave, whenever that may come, or get in on the already rising tide of SC? Whilst I can see drivers in play for growth in the SC market, I'm not so sure about Hervey Bay having anything significant in the pipeline that would move things along very much.

2. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

Sunshine Coast every time. Maryborough / Hervey Bay etc are just pit stop towns for grey nomads. The main industry is whale watching.

MJS1034, Toon and Bran like this.
  3. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Buy something in Maroochydore. Near, but not in, Sunshine Cove. With the coming of the Maroochydore "CBD" being a beginning of Master Planned new regional city hubs this will be your best chance of growth. Go for a house for the land content and future Development potential. They're already moving now. I'm looking at existing 3 bed 2 bath dlug townhouses for 360k ish.
    Fraser Coast is a hole to throw money into in my opinion.

Toon and MJS1034 like this.
  4. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

+1

Also anywhere near the kawana hospital precinct will also do well IMO.

Toon likes this.
  5. Sonamic

I've got a couple around the hospital. Anything with the 4575 postcode will go well. Particularly beach side of Nicklin Way. But they're starting at 550k now. Up to 1.5mill on the beach sand dunes of Oceanic Drive or Pacific Blvd.

Toon and MJS1034 like this.
  6. MJS1034

http://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/coast-property-still-on-the-rise/2787681/

Found this an interesting article on the weekend, some people saying the property market on the Sunshine Coast has already peaked? I find that very hard to believe with all the developments going on at the moment.

A lot of houses for sale at the moment are advertised for a similar price if not lower than what they paid for it in 2007/08 and they are saying the market has peaked? Am I missing something here haha :confused:

7. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I've been wondering too - several properties I've been watching are only listed around what they last sold for in 2008. The new hospital doesn't even open until the end of next year, not to mention developments in Caloundra & Maroochydore still coming. I can't see how it could have peaked, although who knows how far up it still has to go???

8. Sonamic

Yes. People waaaay overpaid back then in SOME areas thinking there was going to be a continuing "sea change boom" like we had in '02 '03 '04. Back in '02 you could get a 4 bed 2 bath dlug on 650sqm block near the beach for 160k. They're 600k now. Wish I'd bought 5 back then. :eek: But I was a newly single first home buyer at that stage.
    Been looking for a PPOR upgrade lately and found a 4 bed 2 bath dlug with a lovely pool that sold in 2010 for 540k and went a couple of months ago for 510k! I'm not sure if SC still holds the title of Australia's most expensive housing or not (based on housing prices to income ratios), or has been beaten by the Sydney growth spurt. But wouldn't be far off. Top spot to live and raise a family, bit of a gamble Investment wise.

Jaye Kershler, Toon and Rich2011 like this.
  9. Jaye Kershler

Jaye Kershler Well-Known Member

I have just purchased my first IP duplex in Caloundra. it's about a 50m walk to the Main Street, looks like I will be having long term renters as I have a family member currently renting.

I'm hoping to see some decent growth over the next 1-3 years

I agree tho I wanted to purchase a similar duplex late last year through private sale the lady got it in 2009 for 390,000. and she knew that it was worth the same if not possibly less .

Toon likes this.
  10. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

CG for units has been dead flat for the past 10 years here in Caloundra. We bought here for 195 and the unit above us sold 18 months or so ago for just 239. Good thing I don't need the equity at present. We are. Ost definitely due for a huge rise.

11. MJS1034

Pretty scary how long it's been flat for... Do you think you'll see a rise over the next few years?

12. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

We have been here 10 years... This is our PPOR so CG is not a huge concern for us at this point. I have been saying for a few years that we are due for a big jump. One day I will be right :)

MJS1034 and Toon like this.
  13. Sonamic

If you're going to invest for CG on The Coast buy a house. Units are more of a PPOR thing and grow a lot slower. Sunshine Coast is a family area and as such people want a yard for a trampoline for the kids a Bbq for dad and a bit of room for a family pet. And mum wants everyone to play outside. :p

MJS1034 likes this.