QLD Sunshine Coast - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MJS1034, 11th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

Hi investors,

I've noticed a few people talking about the Sunshine Coast in different threads recently so I thought I might start a thread specifically for the Sunshine Coast.

Hopefully the media keeps pumping out videos like this :D.

VIDEO: Sunshine Coast in the middle of a boom

big max and R377 like this.
  2. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Noosa real estate is quality. Best place on the sunny coast IMO. Won't be able to buy there this cycle but hopefully down the track.

Jamie Moore and R377 like this.
  3. MJS1034

Why do you think that? Beautiful place but seems overpriced to me....

4. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Well there is a lot of money in Noosa for starters and yes it is very beautiful. Noosa tends to fair better than a lot places on the Sunshine Coast through downturns and also seems to do extra well when the country is doing well economically. Noosa is a little more sophisticated than most places on the Sunnie Coast IMO, and this is evident in the many cafe's and restaurants, the boutique shopping and the retail strip that is always doing well.

MJS1034 likes this.
  5. Jaye Kershler

Jaye Kershler Well-Known Member

This is great news for the Sunshine Coast and about time to be honest. This is the relaxed coast compared to goldcoast , I am currently down at the goldcoast now on holidays and makes me realise the amount of money around here , with a few big developments with housing and some big infrastructure.there isn't many jobs in the Sunshine Coast where people are earning 100's of thousands , hopefully this new cbd will bring that any the hospital The coast can be a lot better with out all the high rise buildings, I look forward to it. And also to hoepfully some much needed capital gains

6. col col

col col Member

Hi there
    I would like to join in on this discussion,i have lived and worked here on the beautiful Sunshine Coast for the last 12 yrs .
    At last i see some real up turn and confidence in the market here.
    The hospital they are currently building in Kawana is huge right next to the recently opened private hospital.The hospital is the biggest new hospital currently under construction in the southern hemisphere we are told. A real game changer.
    The Maroochydore project is currently in the very early stages but will be huge.
    The airport expansion planned but still along way off will certainly open us up to the rest of the world.
    The City of colour just under way south of Caloundra is massive. Im not sure if this is good or bad if you were to be buying there expecting to be living by the beach then im afraid to tell you that you will at a minimum be at least 15 mins by car.This could be good for existing residents as im sure new comers will then want to buy some thing nearer.
    Noosa is a place all of its own and thats fine but its great spot for a holiday or to live there if you have made your fortune and/or work from home.
    If you can get in beach side of the Nicklin way you wont go wrong or right next to the hospital but the place is becoming flood with blocks of units.
    Battery Hill Currimundi Wurtulla Warana would be my pick as a none expert but some one who does follow the market here.

ndpjai likes this.
  7. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Sunshine Coast should do fine next few years. Will get a residual benefit from the coming QLD boom and also increased publicity of the back of the Gold Coast. Also there are probably some from the Gold Coast who find the growth in population and infrastructure too much and who move to then Sunshine Coast for a more laid back living option.

MJS1034 and col col like this.
  8. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa Active Member

Sorry to go a bit off-topic but shouldn't this type of thread be in the "Where to Buy" forum?

I always get confused if i'm in the right forum because I like to go in each forum one-at-a-time before moving onto the next one...

EDIT: If it's not supposed to be in this forum, can a mod move it?

Whitecat likes this.
  9. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

Anybody up to date with the market in the Sunshine Coast ?

What areas do well ? Noosa Heads, Noosaville, Maroochydore ?

Any areas to avoid ? new estates i guess ?

10. MJS1034

Hi @R377

I follow the Sunshine Coast property market really closely. Established areas near th big developments seem to be going really well. Plenty of registered bidders at auctions and days on market are reducing which is a good sign. The out performers so far seem to be certain pockets of Maroochydore and beach side of Nicklin way in Kawana. The lack of 6 figure incomes will be the major hurdle that could keep a ceiling on future growth IMO.

I'd avoid Caloundra west in the new estates as j believe there will become a massive oversupply of houses once the Caloundra south project gets underway.

col col, R377 and Ouga like this.
  11. Frazz

Frazz Well-Known Member

Noosa is a beautiful area. The whole Sunshine Coast has seen a marked improvement over the past 15 years.

My grand parents had a 4 bedroom house in Maroochydore and sold it around 5 years ago - they got a fantastic price. Close to the beach!

I'm really amazed at how Caloundra has changed. Would have been great to have property close to the water there!

big max and R377 like this.
  12. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Love the sunny coast. Probably a good time to get in.

MJS1034 likes this.
  13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

yeah if i was to buy there id say caloundra would be my pick..for the price

big max, Whitecat and col col like this.
  14. MJS1034

Hi guys,

Any updates on how the market is going on the Coast? Any one bought in the area or thinking of investing anytime soon?

15. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of investing soon, once we sell our prev PPOR. Looking for a place we might retire to.

16. MJS1034

Nice mate. Be interested to know what suburbs you are looking at.

17. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

What are people's thoughts of the Elysian estate in Noosa Heads?

18. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Elysium?

My thoughts, as a long term Noosa *****. Elysium-Noosa Springs just doesn't appeal to me financially or from a lifestyle perspective. If I was seriously looking at it I would be considering the longer-term impact of climate change on flood and storm tide levels, whether I want to be driving to the beach and shops, access to public transport, midges, mosquitos and the lack of bike paths and walking trails. Peregian Springs doesn't appeal to me either but it would probably be a comparable alternative with more stock on the market at a lower price point and plenty of access to walking/bike trails, Coles and schools.

I would also be cautious buying H&L or anything on the coast, at or very close to what I believe is the peak of the market. Noosa has moved A LOT over the past three years. For perspective, we purchased something in close proximity to the property below only 4 years ago for just over 500k. Ours is breezy, on high ground, in an established area and within walking distance of Noosa Junction.

38 Allambi Terrace Noosa Heads Qld 4567 - House for Sale #124106630 - realestate.com.au

IntraMaps

Last edited: 26th Dec, 2016
  19. Whiteman

Whiteman Well-Known Member

Hi Tyler

Thanks for posting the flood maps i hadn't seen those before, i bought in early 2013 one of the higher elevation waterfront homes(relative to the other waterfront blocks) in noosa waters and i knew it was relatively safe anyway looking at the drop off from the porch to the waterline but nice to have it confirmed.

Im considering a permanent move up that way from Melbourne and into the house in 12 months, how have you found the move and can i buy you a coffee and pick your brain on life as a local?

Hi JK200SX

Regarding Elysium i would agree with Tyler, i think it will be one of those communities that will be sold to people from around Australia as a holiday home and may suffer from a large percentage of homes that are mostly vacant waiting for their owners to fly in for the holidays. If that assumption is correct, then any future downturn will see a higher percentage of these homes on the market and a much harder forced sale if necessary.

It is also possible there will be no sense of community with many vacant properties and anywhere that is not walking distance to coffee shops and restaurants is going to struggle for capital growth relative to other opportunities.

If your heart is set on noosa area id be looking at something in close proximity to noosa junction or noosaville shops.

20. Property Hoarder

Property Hoarder Well-Known Member

what do the Noosa locals think of Sunrise Beach?

It appears to be the cheaper cousin to Sunshine Beach.