QLD Sunshine Coast 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by SuzyG, 7th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SuzyG

SuzyG Well-Known Member

We are in the market for an IP and in all my research I'm having trouble going past the Sunshine Coast.

In 2011, the population growth was forecast to increase 60% over the next 20 year period. Over the next 15 years, it is expected to be the fastest growing region of SE QLD (percentage wise).

Here is a list of planned infrastructure
    - new international airport runway Project Background - Sunshine Coast Airport
    - fast train to Brisbane Fast train dream takes massive step with Federal funding
    - light rail plan Sunshine Coast Light Rail Project
    - Bruce Highway upgrade
    - Maroochydore city centre Maroochydore City Centre Priority Development Area (PDA)
    - new Kawana health precinct opened in 2017

Just this week, Malcolm Turnbull announced $400m funding towards rail upgrade (Malcolm Turnbull spends big in Qld in possible election year)

Its a hugely popular place for retirees but the lifestyle offered for young families is enviable with 350 days a year of sunshine. When I asked friends on Facebook if they could live anywhere in Australia, a huge percentage of them said they would choose the Sunshine Coast.

And of course, we can't go past the fact that Bernard Salt speaks highly...
    Coast in 2040: Hipsters, entrepreneurs, technology

With a historically low vacancy rates (ie Caloundra at 1.0%), and the ability for yields to be increased by Airbnb'ing a property, it seems hard to beat.

Last edited: 7th May, 2018
    Sam112Ward likes this.
  2. Jane Ridder

Jane Ridder Well-Known Member

Gross rental yields aren't too bad up there either.

SuzyG likes this.
  3. SuzyG

SuzyG Well-Known Member

4. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Lived on the Sunshine Coast for a couple of years, it really does have a lot going for it.

Head north and you have Noosa, Double Island Point, Rainbow Beach, Fraser island etc etc.... great for fishing, surfing, diving, camping

Head south west and you have national parks (glass house mountains), australia zoo, good hiking, sightseeing, camping... a bit further down and you have Brisbane for all those big-smoke related activities...

Maroochydore also seeing a lot of development, used to work on Ocean Street when there were 1 or 2 bars/restaurants and now it's a hipsters paradise...

One issue is that I've only seen good yields quite far from the beach where it would be a lot harder to find tenants... sunny coast is definitely one of those cities where everyone wants to be as close to the water as possible

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Considering that it took close to 100 years to get the long promised Brisbane to Redcliffe railway completed, (and then it only went to Kippa Ring), I won’t be holding my breath.
    Mag

SuzyG likes this.
  6. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

We're as closely tied to the performance of the Sydney and Melbourne markets than ever and it's feeling a lot like 2006 up here at the moment. Over confidence, average stock plateauing, agents calling and emailing again, very high end stock lifting medians but southern money is definitely starting to dry up.

Both Noosa and SCRC are looking to seriously curtail Air BnB, if even remotely successful there will literally be a flood of rental properties hitting the market.

I've many a vested interest up here but I think anyone buying now will be waiting until the next cycle for worthwhile gains.

7. SuzyG

SuzyG Well-Known Member

I'll look into this a bit more, thanks. I've seen other councils attempt to curtail AirBNB by setting a maximum length of stay. I imagine any attempt to introduce measures that curtail too significantly would be bitterly fought by investors with properties up there.

8. SuzyG

SuzyG Well-Known Member

Haha yes, good point
    If it did happen, I can see that the lower end of the SC would become the northern beachside suburbs of Brisbane - think northern beaches of Sydney!

9. SuzyG

SuzyG Well-Known Member

This has me wondering why you would ever move!

Agreed that being close to the water will always demand a premium. I've also seen strong OO demand evident in Buderim as there are good schools in the area.

10. SuzyG

SuzyG Well-Known Member

It is likely you could see that as tourism increases (new airport runway), the beach properties become holiday homes or simply too expensive for the people working in these areas so they live in the surrounding suburbs. I think we are seeing this in Noosa already.

11. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

I moved because the Gold Coast has even more going for it ;)

12. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Everyone I speak to says the same thing in my opinion it’s the best place in Australia the Gold Coast has been ruined by traffic and to many people when I retire I will be living on the Sunshine Coast I hope.

MJS1034 likes this.
  13. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Anyone saying the Gold Coast has been ruined by traffic clearly hasn't experienced Sydney/Melbourne peak hour :)

14. KnockKnock

KnockKnock Well-Known Member

People from Canberra probably...

TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  15. SuzyG

SuzyG Well-Known Member

So true but we don’t want to wait at traffic lights to get to the beach

16. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Why would anyone not live walking distance to the beach???? :p

SuzyG likes this.
  17. SuzyG

SuzyG Well-Known Member

It’s at this point I’m questioning my decision to move from beachside in Adelaide to brisbane

18. Sunnyone

Sunnyone New Member

2018-05-30-pulseimg1.jpg
    Regional markets to Apr 2018 (core logic).
    Interesting here it's looking like the Gold coast is starting to loose a bit a bit that games shine. It leaves the Sunny coast about the only place in Qld with even moderate growth.

Tahli likes this.
  19. Dees

Dees New Member

Sale numbers decreasing on the Gold Coast and stock is taking longer to sell.
    It’s definately a lot quieter out there on the weekend open homes trail.

20. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member