Sunroom cost?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by doublebrick, 14th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. doublebrick

doublebrick Well-Known Member

Hi all, would appreciate thoughts on sunroom construction please - I’m based in Sydney. I’ve engaged a reputable company to construct a sunroom on a raised balcony off my living room to increase living space. I will be covering the whole balcony (approx 28sqm) with a skillion Colorbond insulated roof, and enclosing part of it into a sunroom with powder coated aluminium window and door frames (approx 18sqm). Posts are steel framed. They will also replace my carport cover from fibreglass with Colorbond as well. The cost is just under $60k and does not include flooring , which I’ll need to retile and waterproof. They are also doing the council approval.

Obviously it’s a lot of money and the builder doing my retiling is saying so as well, and I know I can get it cheaper if I used treated pine for the frames but I’m not keen on this it’s not completely termite proof and steel is structural stronger of course (it can get pretty windy too).

Do you think $60k is way overpriced, or it’s fair given the steel structure and size of the balcony?

Thanks in advance.

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

With the skillion roof that will link up with the building ,does the floor steps down or stays on the same level as the internal grid level line,because you may need a box gutter set-up when you link the roof line..imho..

3. doublebrick

doublebrick Well-Known Member

The balcony floor is one step down from the internal living room level. The roof includes guttering but on the outside (not box gutter).

The existing roof of my house is slightly pitched but the new roof of the sunroom/patio is going to be flat, so it will be in one piece, and secured against the house brick wall.