QLD Sunnybank Hills / Runcorn Insights

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by LaoBan, 14th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which area is better for CG (for a townhouse)

1. Sunnybank Hills

2. Runcorn

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LaoBan

LaoBan Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I am not local so need some guidance regarding Sunnybank Hills/Runcorn area.

Planning to purchase a townhouse for IP in the future.. which street(s) / area to avoid and which one(s) are favourable (and why)?

Properties on the border between Sunnybank Hills and Acacia Ridge, are they "risky" / not favourable because from what I know, Acacia Ridge is not a "good" suburb (high unemployment, high % people on dole, industrial, etc.) or does not really matter? E.g. properties in Hellawell Road, Sunny Court, Jackson Road, etc.

Also, please vote which area do you think has a better CG potential for a townhouse.

Thanks

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Do NOT buy a townhouse in Runcorn. Oversupply.

And in SBH yes you're right to say the far west end (what is called "Lower SBH") is a lot less desirable. The best place to buy a townhouse would be along Mains rd, near either Sunnybank Hills Shoppingtown or Pinelands Plaza, but they won't be cheap. You'd be looking at about 450k. There's a unit complex across the road from Pinelands Plaza that I've always liked, but it sold for like 450k and that was 2 years ago. Tightly held. There's a complex behind PP that is less tightly held and generally goes for 350-400k. That's probably where I would buy if I wanted a TH.

3. LaoBan

LaoBan Well-Known Member

For those Townhouses bordering Acacia Ridge, would the CG be potentially less than the 'more desirable' area (like near Main Rd as mentioned) or would the CG grow at similar rate across Sunnybank Hills?

Btw, why are they less desirable?

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Like all suburbs, some parts are more desirable than others. Rather than narrow it down to one suburb rather than the two, I would be looking at each individual property that comes on to the market in either suburb.
    Marg

5. Seal

Seal Well-Known Member

Last year I was looking for a TH in south west Brisbane. I was looking at mount gravatt, mount Gravatt east, UMG, sunnybank, sunnybank hills. I ruled out Runcorn because of the number of TH in the suburb (as @jaybean said) and also the green fields that were in the suburb on a quick drive around. I used price finder to have get this info, but probably free info out there as well.

I found most of the TH in Sunnybank Hills that were on the market when I was looking had high body Corp fees with pools and some with tennis courts.
    Eventually went with mount Gravatt east with small complex, nice views, and low BC fees, that ended up with similar yields to Sunnybank hills, but in a place that will have better CG (IMHO), because closer in, closer to Westfield, Uni, hospital, etc.

If you do go Sunnybank hills and are aiming at families, make sure you are in the Sunnybank hills public school catchment, as it has a good reputation.

6. Yujin

Yujin Active Member

What others have said already. Lot of townhouses in the area and a lot of them are in big complexes which is not ideal as there is higher chance that the body corporate payments are higher, have more facilities (pool and bbq) that you pay for but only the tenant benefits from and valuations are affected by more frequent sales in the complex.

Would be good to have a look around the area before you buy or alternatively utilise Microburbs or Ripehouse to get a feel statistically of the different sections of each suburb as they are vastly different as you and others have noted.

Both suburbs are close to Sunnybank so there is strong demand from asians so this will be the driver for CG however preference is for something with more land component like a house. This will come down to your budget and desired return.

7. LaoBan

LaoBan Well-Known Member

How about villas? Are they more desirable than townhouses in the area?
    My current thinking is that villa will more attractive to old people as well as families.
    Do villas in general have a better potential CG than townhouses?

8. D&J

D&J Well-Known Member

TH over supply issues aside... is there a preferred part of Runcorn (or a side to stay away from)?

9. quop

quop Well-Known Member

I'm a local and lived in a Runcorn TH for 8+ years until a few months ago. For me I reckon north of the railway line is better. Don't know about CG impacts but I know if I was looking for another Runcorn TH to live in, and with most other things being about equal, I'd rather focus on Daw Rd between Warrigal and Hill Rd. Reasons being that this area is close (walking distance to):
    • Warrigal Rd State primary
    • shops including supermarkets (Woolies, IGA) and good selection of restaurants in Warrigal Square and Runcorn Plaza
    • city bus along Warrigal Rd
    It's also got pretty good access to the Pacific Motorway and the Gateway. Warrigal Rd does get pretty busy during peak periods, esp school start/finish. But really all the other arterials options for going north from Runcorn also get congested.

The THs there are all in medium-large complexes though. There are some villas in a complex on the west side of Manor St. There are more complexes along and west of Hill Rd - still walkable but getting a bit further away from the action.

10. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Just around the shops on Warrigal Rd is wher eyou want to be.

11. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

Voting for Sunnybank Hills. Ticks all the boxes, close to public transport (bus and train), shopping centres, child care, and short driving distance to QEII Hospital and Griffith Uni.