Summary of the news I read here

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by New2prop, 12th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

@barnes - you've mentioned before that you invest in forex. Instead of shooting down property constantly, why not start a thread showing people how you invest now? I think it would be a great contribution to the forum.

Brady, ross100, Bran and 1 other person like this.
  2. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Agents commissions. They are the first ones on ground to react to changes. They cut quickly to stay afloat and abreast of competition.

3. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Barnes

Last depressed market ...

Sydney - in weeks after GFC ( though probably anywhere in australia would have been depressed at that stage ......) . We bought two units in Mosman . Asking price 1.275 . Initial offer 800 , paid 900 .

That was 10 % under median price . When we sold them end of last year and got 15 % over median price. Borrowed everything to do that . tack that on to the gains in sydney since then and we've done ok . There were lots of people predicting the bottom to fall and keep going

Brisbane in 2013 was pretty flat and there were lots of people buying there from the forum.

Perth and Darwin are ..... well are they depressed enough for you ?

Sounds like something else outside property has reached it's limits , or beyond .

Cliff

Perthguy likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Definitely too broad, there are many investors who continue buying without any regard whatsoever for market conditions.

Then you have those who have only experienced one boom cycle

Many also believe property investors always make money not true, there are many investors who lose money, some investors then rationalise by calling it a paper loss, its only a real loss when they sell.

Is it all bad, course not? there is money to be made but lets not shoot the messager, property booms do not last forever, after boom comes bust. I am not even sure why everyone is so defensive, he has some points worth considering.

@barnes
    as OP mentioned would really love a thread on shares and your journey.

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2016
    ms420 likes this.
  5. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Second that ... @barnes would really appreciate some information on forex trading...

MTR likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Perth

boom cycle
    2001-2006/7

Bust cycle
    2007-2012

Boom cycle
    2013-2014

Bust cycle
    2014- to date and falling

7. OscarBravo

OscarBravo Well-Known Member

Such a great post. Not a bad idea to sacrifice a few percent of gains to be the strong money in a downturn!

8. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

It did start in 2001, where I was invested at the time picked up steam late 02 early 03. Sold 6 months to early in late 06. Still trippled my money but would have been quadruplle.

Perthguy and MTR like this.
  9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

The only way I know is to be going to home opens. At the peak of the market in Perth, I went to a home open with around 150 people. It was scary! Now I go to a home open and there are zero people there.

Colin Rice likes this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree in general except the Boom cycle in 2013-2014 was only certain areas. For example, draw a line from Morley to Thornlie and those suburbs were part of the boom. Some of the western suburbs went backward or sideways.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The boom cycle during this period started with property sub $500K, FHB were driving this market and developers buying/building and also selling off stock from last crash.

Markets in blue chip over $1M+ have in the main not recovered from the crash of 2007

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Put it up for auction here with those terms, I think you'll be pleasently surprised how quickly it will sell. ;)