Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Sum Insured for Landlord Insurance

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Johnbrown12, 13th May, 2016.

1. Johnbrown12

Johnbrown12 Member

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of organising landlord insurance for a recent regional NSW IP purchase. I have decided to go with Terri Scheer but would just like to know everyone's thoughts on how much I should insure it for?

Its a 2 bed townhouse in a large NSW regional town. Standard finishes - nothing too flash. The cover starts at $60,000 which is $356 per year while for $70,000 it jumps to $487 per year. Is there a rough rule of thumb for the amount of cover or what does everyone suggest?

Thanks all much appreciated.

2. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Is it for building+contents+LL? Aim for full replacement cost for building insurance.
    What would it costs to rebuild that townhouse today if it turned to ashes in a fire?
    For something not flashy, anywhere from $30k to $50k will cover contents+LL stuff in most cases.

I am with EBM RentCover. They underwrite QBE for the building insurance(IIRC).

Xenia likes this.
  3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

I assume strata covers the OP's building insurance. What the OP seems to need is landlord + Contents. In my view, 60K contents coverage is more than adequate.

Xenia likes this.
  4. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

What does your loan contract state the minimum replacement value must be. That is the starting point.

5. brettc

brettc Well-Known Member Business Plus Member

Is it furnished or unfurnished? Presuming it's a strata townhouse and you are not responsible for the building insurance, and it is unfurnished, $60,000 would generally be considered more than adequate. We have a standard $50,000 in our RentCoverUltra product and this would generally be considered plenty for an unfurnished 2 bedroom townhouse, even in a major loss situation.