Sum Insured for Landlord Insurance

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Johnbrown12, 13th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Johnbrown12

Johnbrown12 Member

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of organising landlord insurance for a recent regional NSW IP purchase. I have decided to go with Terri Scheer but would just like to know everyone's thoughts on how much I should insure it for?

Its a 2 bed townhouse in a large NSW regional town. Standard finishes - nothing too flash. The cover starts at $60,000 which is $356 per year while for $70,000 it jumps to $487 per year. Is there a rough rule of thumb for the amount of cover or what does everyone suggest?

Thanks all much appreciated.

2. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Is it for building+contents+LL? Aim for full replacement cost for building insurance.
    What would it costs to rebuild that townhouse today if it turned to ashes in a fire?
    For something not flashy, anywhere from $30k to $50k will cover contents+LL stuff in most cases.

I am with EBM RentCover. They underwrite QBE for the building insurance(IIRC).

Xenia likes this.
  3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    I assume strata covers the OP's building insurance. What the OP seems to need is landlord + Contents. In my view, 60K contents coverage is more than adequate.

Xenia likes this.
  4. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

What does your loan contract state the minimum replacement value must be. That is the starting point.

5. brettc

brettc Well-Known Member Business Plus Member

Is it furnished or unfurnished? Presuming it's a strata townhouse and you are not responsible for the building insurance, and it is unfurnished, $60,000 would generally be considered more than adequate. We have a standard $50,000 in our RentCoverUltra product and this would generally be considered plenty for an unfurnished 2 bedroom townhouse, even in a major loss situation.

What’s the one thing holding you back from having more time, money and freedom? Passive Income. And you’re just one smart Positive Cashflow investment away. Quantum Space commercial units return a huge 8% net AND we guarantee it for 12 months