Suggestions required:Backyard ideas and theme

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Nickbhu, 14th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nickbhu

Nickbhu Member

Hi all,
    I have put an offer on est property and it got accepted. I will be doing the settlement in coming month. Before that I would like to seek your suggestions on decorating or transforming backyard. Please see the pics

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Will it be rented or will you live there?

3. Nickbhu

Nickbhu Member

Live. First home. We live in apartment so gathering idea for the landscaping and decorations

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd get onto the net (Houzz?) and see what grabs you.

What do you want to do there. Kids to play? Barbecue and covered alfresco?

Do you have any idea how you want to use it?

5. Nickbhu

Nickbhu Member

Yes kids area to play and veggie patch for growing veggie and something like this in the video.

6. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

The pencil pines look a bit weird in this setting, wonder if someone miscalculated width of them, anyway needs sorting imo

Short of ditching the pencils, you could drop them down to fence line, which should broaden them, then place a swanes gold pencil in between .

Pretty hard to get a consistent screen ,no gaps with pencils in this situation .

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2021
  7. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

8. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Many owner-occupied houses in Manor Lakes have alfresco.
    Mine didn't come with it, thus installed a large decking and verandah.

9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Where is North?

10. Nickbhu

Nickbhu Member

Can you show that

11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Here’s some of my plants and some inspirational garden shots if you like the tropical look.

Attached Files:

wylie, Nickbhu, MWI and 1 other person like this.
  12. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

We installed this at our Manor Lakes IP

Attached Files:

wylie likes this.
  13. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Expand deck to full width of house - or actually remove the timber deck and pour a slab so you can put bluestone or granite paving down .
    Put a patio over the deck , with Solar span insulated 50mm roof with led down lights and in ceiling speakers
    Run water and power and gas to deck / slab . install outdoor kitchen . Maybe even install another toilet out there
    Run 19mm or 25mm irrigation underground along boundary so you can install pop up sprinklers for grass and future garden beds / vege patch . Link to a hunter control box for full wifi control of your irrigation
    Remove turf at the same time . That lawn is in poor shape . Put down quality underlay and new turf . If that’s beyond you , get someone in to core / aerate that lawn . It’s in desperate need of some love
    Run direct burial wire around boundary for garden lighting
    Pour slab for garden shed .
    Really , the only limits are your imagination and your budget .

MWI likes this.
  14. Nickbhu

Nickbhu Member

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions, how much would the above thing gonna cost me? If I get a fair idea, i can start doing some research.

15. Nickbhu

Nickbhu Member

This looks good. How much thing cost
    Thanks and how much this cost you

16. euro73

Deck or Slab - get a few quotes. Hipages is a decent place to start. Without seeing the house, its difficult to know whether its worth extending the existing deck with merbau or whether it would better to tear out whats there and start over with a slab that is as wide as the house . That's what Id be trying to achieve if the budget permits ...it would mean the entire back of the house extends into outdoor living, and it would provide enough room for a full outdoor kitchen with built in BBQ, sink, etc... an outdoor wall mounted TV and audio, and ample seating . In other words, a huge value adding outdoor space that would instantly transform the house

Patio - get a a few quotes . Again, unless you know whether you are extending the deck or not, or adding a slab or not, its difficult to know what you need to consider for a patio. But at a basic level, if you get a basic polycarbornate roof or colourbond roof, it will be cheaper than insulated 50mm versiclad or solarspan or cooldek, but I think its worth spending the extra for the insulated outdoor space if you are the sort of person/family who enjoys outdoor entertainment. The insulated panels also allow you to add low profile/ultraslim LED downlights and in ceiling speakers as well, rather than having to mount them under eaves. Both solutions are nice, but the in ceiling is more elegant- and expensive ;)

Main suppliers of inslulated rooffing are Versiclad and Bondor and Stratco. It runs at @ $100 LM - supply only.

https://www.stratco.com.au/au/roofi...50mm-thick-65mm-cutback-off-white-topside--o/

Insulated Roofing Panels | Versiclad

SolarSpan® Insulated Roof Panel | Bondor | Insulated Panels Australia

Examples of downlights - https://thelightingoutlet.com.au/pr...MIqfe4uqev7wIVnsEWBR1LGA06EAQYASABEgLRzvD_BwE

Examples of speakers - https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/kef-ci160tr-thin-in-wall-ceiling-speaker.html

Otherwise, use something like these...https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/speakers/ns-aw592/index.html

Buy a TV and mount it in one of these... https://sealtv.com.au/
    Connect the TV an AMP using optical cable. Connect the outdoor or in ceiling speakers to this as well. If you only have 2 speakers outside, this is the ticket . It will give you complete wifi control of your music and TV audio in the patio space. - https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/products/yamaha-wxa-50?_pos=1&_sid=4373c59f9&_ss=r
    If you want 4 outdoor speakers, this will do the same thing but for more speakers - https://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/yamaha-rxv4a-av-receiver-rx-v4a.htm
    If you want 6 outdoor speakers - https://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/yamaha-rxv6a-av-receiver-rx-v6a.htm

Consider ceiling fans as well.... for $200-300 each, adding 2 is well worth it. But make sure the wiring is planned for if you do an insulated roof. Once its installed, you cant run cables through it . You have to run all cabling ( even if you arent planning to connect it until later) during the install, as it has to be pushed through the foam insulation before it is fixed off.

Outdoor heating can be handeld with portable gas heaters , easily enough.

Irrigation is fairly easy. From the photo's you provided, it seems you can DIY most of it.
    You need to dig a trench around the fence line for some of this 19MM poly to be buried - https://sunshoweronline.com.au/pipe...y-poly-fittings/netafim-low-density-poly-pipe
    You will need to figure out how many zones you want before starting, as you need to run 1 line of poly for each zone. Looking at that yard, Id recommend 3 zones. Future Garden Bed, permiter/fence line hedges and lawn . Run 1 line to the location of the garden bed. Connect the sprinklers you want- you could use small pop ups on risers, or micro sprays on micro tubing. Run another around the perimiter for the hedges. Best bet is to place 8 or 10 risers around the perminiter with 180 degree sprays. Then run another poly line to the corners of the lawn area. Use Pop ups like these. https://sunshoweronline.com.au/irri...klers/100mm-hunter-pgp-ultra-shrub-gear-drive

The only part that may not be DIY is the wiring of the solenoids and the installation of a wifi control box on the side or rear of the house .... something like this https://sunshoweronline.com.au/irri...MI3rHEq6mv7wIVBa6WCh0GtQ5tEAQYASABEgIRP_D_BwE

Then, you'll have a completely wifi controlled irrigation system.

17. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

It was installed in year 2015... coordinated by my property manager because I was [still am] working overseas. I can't remember the exact quote ..... I had different specifications/dimensions verandahs & deckings installed at the various IPs at the same time. Did negotiate for bulk discount on those jobs ;)

I can remember the job at Hoppers Crossing better because that IP was sold and I was going through the cost base with my accountant. For the smaller size 6x2.8m verandah [without the ceiling fan], quote was $6880. Similar size merbau decking was $5450.

Please do note that these were prices I paid 6 years ago, thus might not be reflective of current prices.

Nickbhu likes this.
  18. euro73

I think it would cost at least 25-30K to do all of the above.... especially if you are talking larger slab covering the entire width of the rear of the house, with insulated roof pergola on that slab, with outdoor kitchen...

Assuming the house is @10 metres wide, if you did a 5 metre deep slab x 12 metres wide, thats 50M2. Thats going to cost 7-8K probably.

A quality pergola with insulated roof , all guttering, downpipes, 6 or 8 LED downlights etc will likely be 12K +

Irrigation 1K ( if you DIY everything but the commissioning of the wifi controller )

Outdoor Kitchen 6-8K including plumbing and electrical

Outdoor speakers $500

TV $1000.

But you'll find significant differences between quotes, so get several....

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2021
    Nickbhu likes this.
  19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Although you may well be tight on money, have a talk with a good real estate agent to try to determine how much value any alterations will add to your house. The more value you can add, the better advantage you will have if you then want to borrow against your house for future investment.

In our place for instance, i was able to spend a lot of time doing work myself - otherwise every dollar spent would have added 50c value. But I was advised that the internal work we did would add $2 for every $1. This will vary according to where you are, so get advice from somebody who knows your area.

Nickbhu and wylie like this.
  20. Nickbhu

Nickbhu Member

Thanks for the valuable information

geoffw likes this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.