Suggestions please - our first reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by GreenGoblin, 17th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

When you factor in what you lose from your day job, and if you find someone efficient who knows what they're doing...

3. GreenGoblin

GreenGoblin Well-Known Member

Thanks, @mikey7. I did consider this. Reviews on Amazon indicate that if you're using it yourself, and take the time and care needed to do the job properly, you get good results. I don't know if a handyman would take the patience and care required, and factoring in their time to do the job makes it a less viable option for me. YMMV!

4. GreenGoblin

GreenGoblin Well-Known Member

The renovations have commenced! We've engaged Taku's handyman builder and his team to do all the work as we're interstate. We're replacing the kitchen as both handymen who quoted said it wasn't worth keeping (chipboard cupboards were worn). So a new (second-hand) kitchen and bathroom, polish floorboards, general repairs and paint inside and out. Likely new curtains/roller blinds too.

We're going with the handyman's recommendation on paint colours: Hog Bristle half inside (along with white ceiling and skirting etc.), but I'm less sure on the outside colours. He's recommended Manor Red (or a dark green) for the gutters, fascia, eaves, trim and top of stair rails, to provide a contrast to the green of the garden. He'll paint the garage door a gloss white.

Looking at the current photos of the front of the house, what are your thoughts on the suggested exterior colour scheme?
    Front view 1.jpg Front view 2.jpg

Phase2 likes this.
  5. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

what was the Handyman quote you went with

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I put a good condition secondhand kitchen in a rental and it worked out great! Good approach.

7. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good approach. As for colours, hog bristle is pretty popular, for good reason I guess.

I can see how the Manor red or dark green would work on the gutters and fascia, but I'd stop there. I'd probably go for a dark, warm-grey colour (like colorbond Jasper) on the steps and landing, and maybe a semi-gloss white for the handrails and garage door. Eaves and trim I'd also do in white, but probably a low-sheen.

but I'm just a hack.. @wylie could probably give you a better idea of what would work..

Perthguy likes this.