suggestions for what to tell unhelpfulcouncil or other solutions re limited street parking

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by justine77, 14th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

I am looking for suggestions for what to tell unhelpful council

or other solutions

re limited street parking.

there are 4 houses in our strip and aswell council has allowed 2 blocks of units to be built in the last years .
    there are only 4 street parkings for these 4 houses, and 2 blocks of units

also there are 6 triple storey blocks of flats across the street

and a kindergarden and possibly now its a new childcare centre straight after the second lot of new units.

for many years we have asked council to make our 4 parking spots that used to cater to 5 houses to be permit only so that the 6 triple storey blocks of flats cant park here. the houses are 100 years old so pre car days, and dont have driveways or garages.
    i want to try again talking to council about this especially since theres also this new childcare centre and more units they've allowed to be built. Can anyone advise us. I dont remember why they told me last time that they wouldnt allow it to be permit only despite that round the corner is permit only because also there is a school in the street so parents also park here for the sschool which has grown dramatically aswell over the years.
    Hoping for some good suggestions please.

2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I would learn how to write a letter first and fix grammatical errors, this will improve the council reading your letter and taking feedback on board.

For the parking it is public space and no one appears to be breaking the law. If you made it permit zone then the apartment people should still be able to apply for the permit.

As for the school that would likely be there before you bought there and is one of the disadvantages of living close to school. This would also be a reason why they are hesitant to make it a permit zone as then the school would need parking which cost even more money.

Talk to your local representative about the parking issue you are facing and get them to consider changing planning laws.

Where I live people have cars but the neighbor across the road is tenanted and they have about 6+ cars as there are 6 young people that live/rent there. They park all over the place which changed our street from no cars parked in front of our house to pretty much always seeing 2+ cars on the street.

legallyblonde likes this.
  3. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

The blocks of flats should have their own parking.

If you want to go radical then buy a car trailer and park it in front of your place.

And then park on the car trailer...

JacM, wylie and mikey7 like this.
  4. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

Thanks for some ideas.
    can anyone else please think of any other way to contact anyone or to commnicate with council or to do anything that will get us heard and get changes made so we can park infront of our own homes instead of having people from so many other units or the school parking here.

I did send an email to my local representative who said he will look into it so thats a start. I'm happy to hear of any other way to finally get heard on this as we have been writing to council for decades saying we need to be able to have permit parking in front of our houses for our houses only due to
    the ever growing school nearbye
    several 3 storey blocks of units opposite
    the new child care centre
    the new blocks of units

I hope council does somethign this time
    they in fact decreased the spots by a third in last year plus allowed the child care centre and 2 new blocks of units to be build and they love to say that there is not a problem from what they can see when us who live in this segment of the street sayt here is a a problem and we hve said that for decades and its only gotten worse.

5. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

If they're 100 year old houses, they're likely to be on reasonably sized blocks, so build a driveway and a garage if it's that much of an issue.

I really don't see the council giving you sole use to this public land.

Ed Barton likes this.
  6. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Keep it under 7.5 metres total length or they will fine you for being in a built up area greater than 1 hour .

7. Ted Varrick

Fair enough.

Can you please post a link to a car trailer seller that can provide a 7.4m trailer?

8. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Get a bike.

158 likes this.
  9. Ted Varrick

Or a bullbar...

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

@ Justine, do you own or rent the house you live in?

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF