Cars & Motorbikes Suggestions for a new car

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Angel, 7th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I've been awake since 4am planning the next road trip. Mr Angel has been whinging all week about having to drive to Melbourne to visit the rellies next week - and whinging that i haven't worked out what we are doing for "Christmas". His sister doesn't want us for "Christmas", so I have worked out how to make the trip from Sydney to her place take until the 27th. Visit Auntie on south coast. Visit another Auntie near Canberra. Drive past Mt Kosciosko. Pop over the border along the Murray somewhere Drive to Mt Beauty and then down to Bairnsdale. Go to Melbourne. Come home.

Dan Donoghue, paulF and Sackie like this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Last thing I want is a Mummy Car to do the school run. @KinG3o0o, we want something classy and sporty. The subaru was so low to the ground that I still manage to drive straight over the top of those garden beds that protrude everywhere in some shopping centre carparks. The bottom of my car has scratches and marks everywhere because I am so short I simply do not see them. I do not want something that is so big that it costs a fortune in fuel and tyres. The only off roading my new car will get is within caravan parks near a lake or river.

3. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Way too generic a statement, our CX5 AWD TTD is an SUV that uses 5.5 L/100 of diesel.

A V8 (or even just a basic 1.8L 4cyl Petrol Corolla) station wagon is most likely not going to get that low.

I also note the cheapest Mazda 6 wagon is 35K new

The cheapest Mazda CX5 is 31K new

There is a lot more to a vehicle and it's fuel consumption than just the body.

In Fact this is the biggest and most fuel economical vehicle I have ever owned. Here is my car history.

1978 Mini Clubman - 1.1L 4cyl - FWD
    2001 Daewoo Lanos Sport Hatchback - 1.6L 4cyl FWD
    2003 Toyota Corolla Sportivo Hatchback - 1.8L 4cyl FWD
    2010 Subaru Liberty GT Sedan - 2.5t 4cyl AWD
    2016 Mazda MX5 convertible - 2.0L 4cyl RWD
    2015 Audi A3 convertible - 1.8T 4cyl FWD

And with regards to AWD being for "off roading". I don't like your chances of getting much off roading done in most AWD's, I would sooner go with a 4WD with decent ground clearance. AWD is for better traction and handling. There are some clever crossover AWD systems like the one in the Range Rovers but for the purpose of this let's not get into breaking that down because they are all expensive making the point moot.

Last edited: 17th Dec, 2019
  4. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

CX5 AWD TTD is an SUV that uses 5.5 L/100 of diesel. at a
    cost of higher emission, you are carrying extra weight you dont need, 300 kg + that big diff, and drive train.
    imagine your fuel consumption without that weight , even less !

how fast are you going in a 2 tonne in a diesel, that you need AWD traction? traction is all bout tyres tyres tyres, if you are on bad tyres no awd system is going to shoot you out of any corners.

also when compare, please compare apples with apples,

5. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Cost of emission hey? funny I didn't get that "vibe" from your post about the cost to BUY and RUN the vehicle.

And what big Diff and drivetrain? It's not a 4WD, you know there is a big difference between AWD and 4WD right?

I'm going to have to ask you how my comparison is not like for like because I am genuinely confused by that.

I compared the purchase price of a family sized wagon from Mazda (base model) vs a family sized SUV from Mazda (base model). Not sure what you think is a fairer comparison? Want the Diesel 6 wagon base vs Diesel CX5 base? both 42K still doesn't make the wagon cheaper. Kerb weight? the 6 is 1602 vs the CX5 at 1715. A negligible difference especially when pushed around by a TTD.

I don't know why you think SUV's are super heavy in comparison to cars, the frame is not the heaviest part of a vehicle. The V8 Falcon is heavier as is the V8 Commodore and the Chrysler 300C. Notice they all have V8's ie the engine being a very heavy part of a vehicle. Then you move into 4WD territory with their big motors and heavy transfer cases.

It's also kinda rude don't you think? 3 days after someone buys an SUV you post in their thread where they said they bought the SUV that they shouldn't do that and they should get a wagon because it's cheaper (which is factually incorrect).

6. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Yes I am also upset now and will be taking my fuel guzzling 5L V8 SUV back. I am going to trade it in for a Toyota Prius. :D

Angel and Dan Donoghue like this.
  7. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

yes there is a big diff, and both have need to have a diff to sent power to the wheel with less traction,

a ss commy is just shy 1800kg, an ls is about 200kg, heavy ? yes? especially on top of the front axle, but its not "heaviest part of the car"

suv provide you not more space unless you but the mega 7 seaters, which then a mpv is lighter, cheaper and more efficient, that 100kg difference, is in your definition is 50% of the heaviest part of the car.

a wagon have way better driving dynamics just via lower center of gravity, bigger boot 60L more, can be had for the same drive train and + - 150kg less weight to drag around which all means better fuel efficiency as well

shouldn't you get the wagon?

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I just spent a week driving an outlander - quite impressive compared to the Kluger which I have had to drive on several occasions (due to payload and availability) and have not enjoyed much either.

I was looking at an ASX, but I think the load space will be too small for my needs.

The Y-man

Redwing likes this.
  9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

AWD................

Soaks up some power and torque, and some more fuel, than a 2 wd version of the same bus.

Much depends on what one's driving style is AND that just ONE possible life changing event when the road is soapy after 2 mths of no rain, and you have a quick downpour that you get stuck in. Its like that optional knee airbag............we dont see the value until we need it.

A really simple demonstrable example is a part time 4wd on a gravel road, chalk and cheese at the limits between both axles or just one axle pulling or pushing, can be the difference between staying sunny side up, or........................... holiday over.

Talking cars is like religion, football ( all codes) and politics. Confirmation bias and dogmatic views are prevalent in all 4.

ta
    rolf

wylie likes this.
  10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

the AWD thing again :) sorry

The Kluger is an old old design, but has a very sweet 6 that is almost dangerous in 2wd poverty pack format if driven moderately hard.

Drive the Awd version Of the Kluger, and yes its marginally slower over a quarter mile, but in the same terrain the AWD transforms a liability into a capable, fun bus.

As an Aside the ASX also has design age of 15 years, but is not a bad bus at that price point. Bit like a Singer Sewing Machine, but it doesnt mind revving its little heart out.

Due to my work and a business association I have been blessed to have a go at many cars with Hertz over many years

My 3 faves are the Cadillac ATS, the Renault Megane 265 Cup, and the Chrysler Pacifica.

ta
    rolf

ta
    rolf

11. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Some good points made but please note the CX5 is a size smaller 4550 than the Mazda 6 (4865). If you said the CX8 (4900) as the closest or CX9 perhaps (larger @ 5075), but it’s not quite an apples for apples comparison.

12. The Y-man

@Angel

Not sure if you are online but we are shutting down East Gippsland
    All of East Gippsland urged to evacuate as emergency bushfire flares

The Y-man

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I know. We had to cancel the entire trip last week anyway,, I was really close to asking you if you would like to use my chalet accommodation but then figured nobody would be travelling at this time of the year.

14. The Y-man

Come down in Winter - more of a novelty for Qlders to have grey, wet, cold mornings :D.

The Y-man

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

What is a cold morning?

16. The Y-man

No you have to mix it with the wet, grey stuff :D You get cold mornings in Goomburra/Forest Springs on a clear winter morning when the wipers are frozen onto the windscreen.

But a wet, grey, cold is something altogether different especially when added with a windchill factor of -60 degrees....

A walk from Southern X station Bourke St end towards Docklands in Winter highly recommended for entertainment value, as long as you avoid hypothermia.... (only matched by a windy, icy, wet day on the peak of Mt Wellington, Tas which I got to experience this year.... o_O...)

The Y-man

Tony3008 likes this.