Suggested way for landscaping the backyard train wall?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by [d4rk-fr3d], 9th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. [d4rk-fr3d]

[d4rk-fr3d] Well-Known Member

Hi People,

I need some advice and suggestion of what is the best way to tidy up the backyard of my property that is bordering with the green train wall like below:

Preferably the most economical suggestion without having to spend too much money legally.

Thanks.

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Good morning

Do you mean the wall is a fence that backs onto a trainline or train station?

I would clean it, consider the mould, and repaint it. If you dont use a water blaster, we wash things down with a broom in a bucket of bleach/water.
    Once clean, it may not require painting. We can spray a full length 6' high fence two coats of paint in about an hour. I don't know if it would require primer.

Unless there is some railway by-law that says otherwise, you could screw sheets of trellis or colourbond straight onto the posts. (colourbond = risk cut fingers or toes so edge it)

How much "landscaping" do you want? You could remove the garden bed and grass right up to the wall, or make a garden bed along the base if that is preferred. You could plant some lillypillies or other natives which grow well. If you plant a tight row of murraya like everyone else does, you will have a hedge hiding the wall in about two years. If you want a hedge, there is no need to make a proper edged garden bed, just dig some holes and plant.

[d4rk-fr3d] likes this.
  3. [d4rk-fr3d]

Hi, @Angel thanks for the reply on my first topic.

I like the idea of "make a garden bed along the base", but since it is not my Trainwall, I wonder if there is any repercussion to pile all of those shrubs & leaves on the green train wall?

The other neighbour seems to have some sort of fencing like in the photo above on the background.

But my retaining fence was gone (rotten timber).

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Then make your garden bed in front of the wall. It doesn't have to touch the base of the wall. You can put a divider between any soil and the bottom of the wall. If planting a hedge, place the trees about half a metre in front so they have plenty of room to spread out.

Ask the train wall people if there is any restriction on what you can do, it is your own backyard. I care about our fences and the house walls and ensure that whatever we do will not cause any damage to them. We suburbanites have timber fences which can easily rot with gardens and water on them. We know to not put any gardens immediately against the brick walls of the house, and not to cover any ventilation holes.

[d4rk-fr3d] likes this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

6. [d4rk-fr3d]

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

So who's backyard are you talking about?

What is the wall made from - Concrete?

8. [d4rk-fr3d]

My Own.

yes, it is concrete.
    If I just drop mulch & soils on top of the leaves & shrubs, will that be an issue?

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I cant imagine it would matter to a concrete wall. But like i said earlier, dont pack it up against the wall itself, leave a small gap and clean out the gap every year in your maintenance routine. You can go onto Gardening Australia website and ask there too.
    Have you thought about drainage?

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2019
  10. [d4rk-fr3d]

Yes, that does make sense mate.

Is it this website: GARDENING AUSTRALIA

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yep, everything you'll need to know :)

12. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Can you paint it? Perhaps Monument colour.

Greenery looks great in front of it.

9C2B43C6-4EED-4710-80B0-BD65BFB56FE5.jpeg

13. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@[d4rk-fr3d]

its usually referred to as a sound barrier wall, probably not solid concrete but a composite to absorb noise.
    it would be owned by the transport authority and stand upon their land, so just be certain where your property boundary ends and you're not building or planting something (permanent) on their land that could cause any issues long term. (although unlikely they will know as it looks like access is limited)