Sugarcube apartment tower...

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Phineas, 19th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Phineas

Phineas Well-Known Member

A foreign investment company builds an apartment tower. It fails city council regulations, and the owners are prevented from moving in:

Owners left with 'no rights' as fourth Sydney apartment block abandoned

Is there more to this piece? Am I missing something?

I'd have thought industrial contamination to have come up in the conveyancing process, pretty terrifying if not.

2. lmac

lmac Active Member

Not as headline grabbing as Opal but even more boggling to the mind. How did they neglect to properly remediate the land with no checks or balances? Astonishing really.

3. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Looks like the private certifier might have (allegedly) stuffed up, assuming the SMH article is accurate. https://www.smh.com.au/national/tox...rs-of-erskineville-units-20190719-p528vj.html

So, given that either private certifier, or their insurance company, is going to have to cough up to either lift the entire block up, and remediate the ground soil as they should have done to start with, then got a final audit statement, before they issued a construction certificate.

Or bulldoze the entire entire block and start again.

The alternative is to open numerous parties including the Owners Corp to long term litigation over any toxic effects suffered by residents.

The whole situation can only be described as not ideal...

4. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

I heard from insider sources that the media is just sensationalizing this news story.

Surprise! Surprise!

And the Occupation Certificate has not been issued yet, so no settlement has taken place yet.

5. lmac

lmac Active Member

Thanks Ted, that SMH aticle was much less hype and more details. I read it differently to yourself though? Appears the issue is the developer gained a remediation approval initially but amended the plan without seeking re-approval and proceeded. The Council have flagged this with particular regard to the footpath at the front of the development and the whole thing is a caught in a back and forth of approvals pending testing etc. The developer is present and dealing with the issues so no phoenixed entities to chase.

I can't see them arriving at the conclusion to the tear the whole thing down. Just a bunch of delays, **** arounds and wasted $$ while the approvals get gradually sorted with regards to the walkway is more likely in my opinion...