Success habits

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Xenia, 26th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I'm not a waiter, I am a doer too. I just don't like sales.

I have had proper sales training and I have done sales, it's easier than people think but I just don't like doing it. That's why I found your actions brilliant! :)

Xenia and MTR like this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I like Grant Cardone too and subscribe to his podcasts.
    He is so full on - OMG
    I can only listen to a couple at a time, maybe having it on 2x speed doesn't help either, makes him more full on.

3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Before my kids were at school and business was at very early stages and we did not have a commercial presence, I used to get up at 4am. Kids had a habit of waking up at 8am and once they were up it was too distracting to work. Getting up at 4 am gave me 4 hours of solid working before I had to play mummy. I also got a few hours during the day when they were distracted with other things and a couple more at night when they went to sleep.

Now, 2 are teens and old enough to actually contribute to the business. So much easier - phew!!!

4. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Must get back into this. I found that just by listening, it became just noise. It's the doing and application that makes the difference. - 'what does this mean for me' / 'how can I make this happen for me'

Xenia likes this.
  5. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

For me, it's about keeping the thinking broad... it's easy to criticize someone's comments because their thinking is different to your thinking, but by broadening your thinking, you might open up to new approaches and options.

It depends what you define 'success' as, but my definition includes emotional intelligence - someone who can see a comment from many different perspectives. I know some who are in management positions and I believe have higher EQ and it is difficult to argue with them as they usually remain very centered and reason through the options! This post is slightly different to what this thread might have started out as but I find these people great negotiators!

Gypsyblood, Ostraylia and Gockie like this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You're right about the noise.
    I tend to listen to things that apply to what I'm doing right now. Ie business growth, etc. I find I tune out if it's general and I'm not relating it to something that is going on in the moment.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, it has to be riveting stuff if it is someone talking, otherwise my mind will wander and then I think I have just had 20 mins of someone talking at me and no idea what they said.....

Prefer to read & even better if it can be interactive like here, except for when someone is dragging you toward a pointless argument :eek:

Kevvy7, Xenia and Chris Au like this.
  8. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

Call up and chat to my dad. I think he's a genius. He gives me all the negatives, warns me and is protective of potential pitfalls then pushes me on! Even bounce off ideas I know for a fact he will be concerned about because a part of me thinks if I can convince him on something no one else will be a challenge lol
    Actively seek ideas, search online, look for those who have done it get some clues, put it together form strategies, also I love talking about it!
    Hard work, the kind that you are so vested in that it makes you want to perfect things and makes you happy
    Find inspiration in most people every day.

Kassy and ellejay like this.
  9. 733

733 Well-Known Member

TED Talks to learn and inspire.

To Never Ever give up ( perhaps change direction/systems/processes from learning's)

Despite the toughest challenges continue to believe in yourself, leverage on what is working, change what is not working and sustain respectful and helpful behaviours and mindsets towards others

Being humble and having a solutions focused approach

Embracing a Growth Mindset rather than a Fixed Mindset

Last edited: 11th Sep, 2017
    Xenia, Sackie and Rolf Latham like this.
  10. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Just currently reading the TAO of Charlie munger, mentions that he reads 600pages a day along with 3 newspapers! Now that habit breeds success no matter who you are! Riveting read , if I said that to my workmates I reckon I would be stoned alive! :D

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Another success trait... communication with people. But specifically, with the skill of seeing things from the perspective of another person's point of view. Step inside their shoes. It sounds reasonably straightforward, but the power of this can have profound effects and outcomes. Thus, imo, people who do this regularly will tend to be more successful.

Understanding the Other Person's Perspective Will Radically Increase Your Success

Also, I recommend reading: "How to win friends and influence people".

Thanks @Foxdan for mentioning the book in the "my cheapie experience" thread... for me it was a case of "When the student is ready, the master will appear" scenario.

Last edited: 8th Oct, 2017
    Xenia, MTR, Chris Au and 1 other person like this.
  12. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

I get told I'm a negative person all the time, but I don't see it. I set goals for myself and to date I have done pretty well at achieving them, I just know the **** I'm going to have to jump through to get there and I'm pretty straight forward with it.

Xenia and Perthguy like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have learnt sonething today, brilliant...thanks

Xenia and Gockie like this.
  14. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Repetition is the mother of all skills. If you are able to keep working away at it longer and harder than anyone else, you will reap the benefits.

Also, ignore some of the clowns in life and posers in PC who are full of it.

Xenia likes this.
  15. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

No one like Gary Vaynerchuk?
    He is actually the "in" thing at the moment .

Xenia likes this.
  16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

17. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Thought I would keep this thread going again! Anyone read "outwitting the devil" by Napoleon Hill?????? it's so powerful in its messages it's actually frightening!

Chris Au and Xenia like this.
  18. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Ray Dalio talks about this in his new book Principles. He talks about how you can learn so much more by listening. That and everyone is different, so if you understand their position you will also get to understanding them too.

Charlie Munger once said something that I stop and think about regularly:

"I never allow myself to have an opinion on anything that
    I don't know the other side's argument better than they do.”

Xenia likes this.
  19. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I love this
    And also the perspective that people are not their view points.
    You can have a relationship with a person who you totally disagree with because they are not defined by their view points.
    There is a lot of power in giving up the need to be right and just striving for what you want. People can only judge you by their own conditioning and unless you are paid to sort out their stuff I can’t think of anything more boring than trying to justify why their perspective is wrong - let them have it.

Sackie likes this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more @Xenia . I have my own perspective on things, often quite different to others and i never try to 'convert' anyone to my perspective. Happy to offer it up and others can make of it as they will.

Xenia likes this.