Success doesn't rely on passion or motivation.....

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Chris Au, 3rd Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

I occasionally read Tom Corley's 'Rich Habits' website for some 'motivational' words, especially when in a rut. Today's 'tip 'o the morning' rang with me -

If you had to rely on passion, motivation or willpower to do what is needed to become successful, everyone would fail.

This is because passion and motivation ebb and flow from day to day. And willpower only has a limited reserve that peters out after a few hours.

Success requires consistency. So, you need something special; something more concrete and longer lasting than passion, motivation or willpower. Something that forces you to do what you need to do day in and day out, in order to keep you moving forward towards the realization of your dreams and goals.

What is that something special?

Good daily habits.

Habits by their very nature are automatic unconscious behaviors, thinking, decision-making and even emotions. To engage in habits you don’t need passion. You don’t need motivation. You don’t need willpower. All you need is to have forged the habits and then to be alive and awake.

Where passion, motivation and willpower do come into play is in the early stages of forging the habits.

Self-made millionaires use Passion, Motivation and Willpower to help them develop the good habits that will carry them through to the realization of their dreams and goals.

Once forged, habits stick forever. You will engage in them even when you lack passion, lack motivation and have zero willpower.

For this very reason, good habits put you on autopilot for success. They are critical to success and and infinitely more important than passion, motivation or willpower.

This reminded me of the Slight Edge, where it isn't usually about any one big move that will cut through to the end (although big moves certainly help to get the process going!), but small incremental steps, that become habits, that become ingrained.

So no matter how small the baby steps, as long as they're in the right direction and are based on knowledge, they'll come together to the goal.

MTR, ellejay, Sackie and 5 others like this.
  2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Habits have one on autonomous GPS.................

Reminds me of a piece of Gold or mullock depending on how you interpret it

Who Am I?

I am your constant companion.

I am your greatest helper or heaviest burden.

I will push you onward or drag you down to failure.

I am completely at your command.

Half the things you do you might just as well turn over to me, and I will be able to do them quickly, correctly.

I am easily managed - you must merely be firm with me. Show me exactly how you want something done, and after a few lessons I will do it automatically.

I am the servant of all great people; and alas, of all failures as well. Those who are failures, I have made failures.

I am not a machine, though I work with all the precision of a machine plus the intelligence of a human being.

You may run me for a profit or turn me for ruin - it makes no difference to me.

Take me, train me, be firm with me, and I will place the world at your feet.

Be easy with me and I will destroy you.

Who am I?

I AM HABIT.

3. hwbesqu

hwbesqu Active Member

I think success is also a measure of luck-being in the right place at the right time.

MTR and el caballo like this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Indeed

If one is born in the African Congo, we dont have access to the same life success tools.

I feel, the biggest luck comes from having access to first world opportunities such as basic education, clean water, decent medical and beyond that someone that believes in you more than we believe in ourselves.

On top of that, some of us get "easier" access to opportunities that others even in the same "slice" of life dont, sure if that a luck thing.

For some of us (me included) the biggest thing to overcome is the overplay the luck/fortune card. While it may be true that others have it easier - that realisation doesnt help us get better.

ta
    rolf

5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Success is pushing through even when things get boring.

Nothing can ever replace hard work

MTR and jins13 like this.
  6. Chris Au

Love it, says it well.

Yes, I agree, Rolf summed it up well.

7. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Most people tend to have a narrow view of success, as if success is something external that needs to be obtained.

Success can only come from within, so you need to search there. Once you find it, no matter what you do or achieve you will be successful.

In this sense, habits of thinking and how you respond to external events largely determines success.

Chris Au and el caballo like this.
  8. Rolf Latham

good call.

which is why "success" is one stepping stone to Signficance

Significance is a very different thing

ta

rolf

ellejay and jprops like this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

"Success doesn't rely on passion or motivation...."

I agree.

For us, continued success has ultimately come down to 1 most important factor - a compelling Why .

If your reason is powerful enough then you will do whatever you have to do to get where you want to go. You'll push through all the **** you have to battle along the way. You'll keep moving though uncertainty, learn what you need to learn, be steadfast in the face of adversity and get back up when you take a hit. If your reasons for doing what you do is all powerful and emotionally connected to your psyche. You will succeed .

MTR, Gockie and Chris Au like this.
  10. Chris Au

Love it.

On a similar, but slightly different tangent, 'the enemy of a great life is a good life'. While not saying we can't have a good life, if you're pushing for a great life (whatever that means to you), you need to take yourself out of the 'good life' and push through the uncertainty, shiitte and adversity.

Sackie and Gockie like this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

100% agree. This is what it boils down to. That's why people flee countries going through war or bad times and come to places like Australia where they work and study harder than your average Australian. My family got out of China because China was just too bad, too hard. I know people who got out of Venezuela, conditions were just too hard to stay. These people all have a very strong why.
    As a result, they appreciate this country more than people who have it simply handed to them on a platter and they also have to mindset to achieve. That's why, even if they come here with not much (even perhaps really poor English skills), they persevere and ultimately achieve.

Chris Au and Sackie like this.
  12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I believe having the right mentality and being humble enough to accept new information, challenge your own ideals and to get out of your comfort zone are important. I feel that some people are blessed with having the right network of people but due to their inertia to do anything, they are unable to maximise their potential.

Having patience is also so important in my view because Rome wasn't build in a single day and whether you want to succeed in your professional career, property investing or investing in shares, it will take time for you to realise the benefits received. These days people want fast service and a speed track to reaching their goals, but it may take you a couple of years for it to happen and means that you need to grind for a while.

Also, being able to filter some of the information around us.

Chris Au, Sackie, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What's the secret to being consistently successful???

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Accept that you will have failures and be unsuccessful at times and STILL be undeterred and continue on. I don't think anyone can be consistently successful all the time but can successfully continue along the path of overall success. That's my take.

jins13 and MTR like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Good points, and I agree with you

Comes down to persistence.
    There is always some level of stress, I have lost sleep, whether it is sourcing finance, deals, markets changing etc etc etc. Investors probably need to be able to ride the ups and downs. Not give up.
    In my early days of investing I was pretty much wondering why I was doing this when people around me were chilling out and having fun. Those days have gone, that's what I mean by rising above the stress etc.

But you need more wins than losses otherwise what's the point. After all its about making money

Last edited: 6th Feb, 2018
    Chris Au, jins13 and Sackie like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree. It really boils down to sooooooooooooooooooo many people want to enjoy the killer spoils without shedding the blood first. Aint ever gonna happen that way.

MTR likes this.
  17. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Just saw this and reminded me of this thread:
    iceberg.JPG

Chris Au, MTR, orangestreet and 2 others like this.
  18. Rolf Latham

no such thing that is consistent

ta

rolf