Suburbs near Sydney airport

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by np999, 17th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

I've been looking at properties around the Mascot/Rosebery/Green Square area. The advantages of these suburbs are obvious: proximity to Sydney CBD, good transportation options, lots of new developments available at reasonable prices etc.

My key concern is how bad the noise is from aircrafts? I've done some inspections during daytime, and to my surprise didn't notice much noise in the sky at all. Not sure how it's like when actually living there, esp. at night.

Another concern is how difficult it is to find a place for kids in local public schools.

Hope to get some advice from people who live (or used to live) in these suburbs.

2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Airport has curfew from 12AM to 3AM. During these times the noise is not that bad. I am often in Mascot and Zetland due to work and didn't notice issues at when staying overnight. During the day, afternoon and evening can be very noisy. Closer to the airport (Mascot, Eastlakes, South Rosebery) can be very noisy. Need to stop conversation if a jumbo flies above.

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

last I recall was 11 pm to 6 pm with some narrow shoulders

one of the challenges of an international airport.

ta

rolf

Illusivedreams likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Check out the ANEF map. You can almost pick the quieter streets from the map. Aircraft noise does carry eg: from the jet test cell.

The main curfew is 23:00 - 06:00, landing over the water is still permissible.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Here are the rules note the landing only exception for 24 x a week between 5am and 6am. (Its mainly for long haul arrivals). Note the planned movement of older type aircraft to Badgerys is planned to lower Sydney noise.

Curfew at Sydney Airport

6. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Curfew is definitely 2300-0600 with some exemptions as has been mentioned between 0500-0600. However, these will land usually on RW34L. Curfew does not apply to all aircraft types.

The runways configuration makes the noise footprint change based on wind and ATC will also noise share if possible.

It is definitely a consideration although modern high bypass turbine engines are far quieter than in the past so it’s improved a lot in the last 30 years for properties inside the zone.

- Andrew

7. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

New developments in heavy aircraft noise areas should have had acoustic requirements as part of their approval (thicker/double glazing, insulation, double gyprock etc). So the noise inside the apartments might not be so bad.

SmileSydney likes this.
  8. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

I live in Mascot. Plane noise is reasonable- they pass overhead but are at a higher altitude by the time you hear them.

Schoolwise- no idea sorry

np999 likes this.
  9. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated.

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

With the amount of tall concrete shelters around there, I doubt you could hear your neighbor scream, or notice a jumper, or anything else.....

I remember in the 70's, being anywhere near the flight path was deafening, even pretty far out, and the TV would go bung for a few mins, but I doubt it now, in fact, being close is prob a major plus, heaps of people have gambled on the SW area due to new airport proximity.

11. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Good transport options? Not really. Getting a train at peak hour from Mascot or Green Square on the airport line is a problem. I bet if you google 'Green Square transport problems' there will be plenty of stuff. Mascot would be the same. And it's going to get worse. The roads around there can be just as bad.
    As for airport noise, the lower the planes get, the more concentrated and narrow the noise is. Green Square is not really affected and even Mascot where all the developments are is fine.

np999 likes this.
  12. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Zetland noise is non issue. Depending where.
    I lived 2 years and the planes are either too high to make impact or not over. Either way Non issue.

Mascot is an issue. Some buildings worse than others. 1 building I was looking for IP my keys were shaking non counter as I was filling in my details on attending cars.

Remember Mascot now the airport suburb :)

13. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Planes are now turbo fan.

Planes before turbo jet.

They are much more efficient and so much quieter

Turbofan - Wikipedia

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Si...Si

15. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

Right, this is what I suspected too. I've been to Mascot maybe 8-10 times, but mostly in the afternoon during non-peak hour, so the train didn't look crowded. As for road traffic, I did notice that after 4pm, buses could get very crowded and traffic jams were pretty bad and it felt like taking forever to go from CBD to Mascot/Rosebery, with people getting off/on at almost every stop.

At the moment, some roadwork was certainly partly to blame for the traffic jam, so might improve in the future (well, more people will move in once all the buildings are completed, so could also get worse, who knows).

16. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

I see.
    Zetland is still quite expensive at the moment, but compared to Mascot, it's expensive for good reasons apparently.

17. ValSyd

ValSyd Member

In Waterloo you can already here the planes from time to time. Nothing too annoying but I wouldn't be willing to live any closer to the airport. After I have the feeling that some suburb like Leichardt are even worse than Mascot. Not sure why, the path planes are taking I guess.

18. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

What a load of bull. Did you guys leave there? I lived in Zetland. And while it was an ooooold building the planes were annoying AF! Sometimes at 6AM I would be woken up by a jumbo ****** flying so close I could almost touch it’s ugly belly.

Other than that it’s an awesome overcrowded dog **** filled suburb. It’s very entertaining to skip around in the morning trying to avoid all the dog poo left on sidewalk.

My 2 cents. Might not reflect the true sorry situation of that suburb or surrounding suburbs.

19. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

It wouldn’t have been jumbos, they don’t take off from 34R, mainly narrow body domestic jets and occasionally a med haul wide body but this is rare. The SID off 34R is a right turn at 500ft to intercept the 080 track from the TASUM waypoint until out over the ocean so on days when they’re using 34R for departure anyone under that departure would have quite a bit of noise. 16L departures are noise free and noise sharing demands this if wind and conditions allow.

- Andrew

20. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Lots of the apartments facing Gardeners Road would get no plane noise. Of course, they also have lousy transport options and not much to brighten their weekends apart from the sausage sizzle at Bunnings.