Suburb Recommendations for Re-Location to Brisbane from Central Coast

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by BigRed, 17th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Hi,

Work will be re-locating my partner and I (mid-twenties) to Brisbane at some point in the near future. We own our current home and are looking to convert to IP and purchase a second home shortly after moving to Brisbane. We feel it is best to rent for 6-12 months to get an understanding of the area before committing. In saying that, we have done some research and looking for further opinions on suburbs for a family home <700K. With work from home a thing now, we have no problem looking ~30 minutes out of the city. We love the Central Coast are looking for something similiar with a decent yard and good access to pet-friendly walking tracks/lakes/creeks/bays/beaches. We will both be working in the CBD and have looked at suburbs such as:

• Moggill - New estates, big blocks, cheap. Heard the traffic into CBD can be bad and public transport lacking.
    • Ferny Hills/Grove - Big blocks, good public transport and not a bad drive either. Towards the upper end of our budget?
    • Jindalee, Seventeen Mile Rocks, Westlake, Middle Park etc - Nice housing close to city. Flood zone? Upper end of budget.
    • Tingalpa - Close to bay, city. Upper end of budget.
    • Keperra - Only just started looking at this one but seems to be good value. Not as good as Mitcheltown/Arana Hills but we are also considering those.
    Any other suggestions welcome.

2. Jockosaurus

Jockosaurus Well-Known Member

Hey

I'd suggest in no particular order:
    • Nudgee
    • Gumdale
    • Corinda (might be just out of your $$$ range)
    • Oxley (parts of)
    They are all nice areas with the exception of some parts of Oxley. You will easily be able to identify which parts :) And always check the BCC flood maps. Good luck!

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Thanks Jock! It really seems like you can't go wrong when looking at a PPOR in Brisbane within 30 minutes of CBD. Just need to find something in our price point.

4. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

Wellington Point, Cleveland, Ormiston, Manly. These are bayside suburbs with emerging cafe culture, good sized blocks and close to the train and bus routes.

TAJ, Archaon, Propin and 1 other person like this.
  5. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I think some of these would be more than 30 mins from the city during peak hour. Brisbane traffic can be really bad.

perhaps Stafford?

6. Firefly99

Also consider the cost of parking in the CBD if you had intended on driving to work. It’s absurd. Must be one of the most expensive places to park in the world Access to public transport is worth considering.

7. EK01

EK01 Well-Known Member

Try and stick to something on the train lines if possible. I've lived in Kenmore, Jindalee and now Corinda and its always nice to know the train is available if I'm without a car for whatever reason. As other posters have said, always check the floodmaps, especially if a property seems cheap for the suburb. Good luck.

8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Mansfield/Wishart has nice walking tracks around Bulimba Creek. Good bus service to the city. Cafes and shopping centres are being built at Mansfield tavern site and good public schools. Easy access to main roads taking you to either Gold or Sunshine Coast.

9. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I also would suggest these, great connections (trains, airport, close to the bay, surrounded by green spaces)
    • Nudgee
    • Virginia
    • Banyo
    • Wavell Hights

djyella likes this.
  10. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Also remember the further west you go in Brisbane the hotter and stickier in summer. So for a southerner the bayside suburbs may be less of a shock.

the older suburbs will have more older style houses e.g weatherboard.

11. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Have a look at Brighton & Sandgate. By the bay, with a similar relaxed vibe to NSW Central Coast. Will tick off some of your specific property & lifestyle needs. Circa 40 mins from Sandgate to CBD on train.

Last edited: 18th Aug, 2020
  12. Nervous

Nervous Well-Known Member

I also vote for the bayside. Or if you want closer to CBD then Virginia, Northgate and Nundah. They are midway between the bay and CBD. About 20 min on public transport to CBD.

We bought in Bald Hills, which is a nice area, but would be looking on moving closer to CBD, just because price difference is not huge and 20 min less travel is 20min saved for myself :D

13. Nervous

Forgot to mention.... I would stick to the northside. And wouldn't look south of river no matter what!

14. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Thanks heaps all - Really appreciate the feedback. Some great recommendations here. I've started to compile a list of postcodes and will be monitoring Real Estate/Domain over the coming months.

15. Jockosaurus

Jockosaurus Well-Known Member

Based on what?

16. Firefly99

Nothing or maybe Nervous has investments in the north and needs to promote them.

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Exactly! I've always lived south of the river. Nothing wrong with me except I have two heads. :D:p

I'd suggest looking Greenslopes, Holland Park, Coorparoo, Camp Hill areas, but it depends on just what you want.

We have an express bus about six houses away that takes 15 minutes at peak hour to the city.

Noobieboy and Firefly99 like this.
  18. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

When you say 30 minutes from the CBD ... what does that mean to you? 30 minutes by public transport or by car? Also, by car in peak hour or without traffic? Commute times in Brisbane are becoming progressively worse by car as our roads become more congested. Commute time is relative to time of day and travel mode.
    There are lots of options for suburbs in Brisbane that fit your budget, but a longer term view on your needs and wants would ensure you select a location that will not only work for you now, but also for the years that lie ahead. Eg - if children are going to form part of your family, then consideration for schools might be necessary. Just an example of some other things you might like to consider when looking at locations :)

19. Nervous

Holy Buddha belly. Can we get some humour in. Was tongue in check post.
    North side, south side. Both have great spots. I just prefer northside because I live here. And every frog loves its pond. I find it less hectic.

If someone is making their decisions purely on the location of the suburb in regards to the river... they might have bigger issues to resolve.

20. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

With $700k I would check out Carina, it's located right next to the Gateway, you will get to all the good spots. :)

boganfromlogan and sharon like this.