QLD Suburb Advice Brisbane PPOR (FHO) for this Sydneysider/Melburnian

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by cygne, 20th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

3-4 br House with land, or 3 br Townhouse?

1. 3/2/1 or 4/2/2 House with land (even if it means giving up walkability)

95.2%
  2. 3/2/1 or 3/2/2 Townhouse

4.8%
  1. cygne

cygne Member

Hello all,

I have some questions and I hope you'll be able to help me out with some of them.

As I know nothing about life in Brisbane, demographics etc, I was hoping you could help me out. I have only visited a couple of times on holidays in the past and the last time was 12 years ago so I’m sure a lot has changed since then.

A bit about me... I am originally from Sydney, grew up there and spent 25+ years living there, then I spent many years living overseas (mostly as a single person), then recently came back to Australia and moved to Melbourne. It wasn't my choice to come to Melbourne but my partner got a good opportunity here so we took it. We since had a baby who is now 3. We don't plan on having any more children. We have no pets and don’t plan on getting any.

I grew up in the leafy northern suburbs of Sydney (which is lovely) but I hated not being able to do anything without a car, dealing with really bad congested traffic and/or relying on really really crappy public transport ie buses (we did not live anywhere near the rail line). When I moved out of home I moved to Parramatta which was like a dream to me, to have pretty much everything I needed within a 10min walk, including a 6 storey Westfield shopping mall and a major train station with express trains as well as a ferry direct into the city.

When I lived overseas it was also very walkable everywhere so walkability is a huge priority for me.

We have since lived in 2 suburbs in Melbourne's E/SE area (renting), which are also 2 walkable suburbs with a train station and shops, restaurants...

We have decided to move to Brisbane as the weather in Melbourne is killing me and we can't afford to buy in Sydney (although of course Sydney would be my first preference given almost everyone I know lives there). My partner has a (mortgaged) property overseas and we're a single income family at the moment so there's no way we can afford to spend $1M+ on a mortgage. We're in our early 40s too so time is running out to get a mortgage...

We have targeted the southside (or east/southeast however you want to call it) of Brisbane because my partner has a good chance of getting a job with a company down there (near Logan way), it seems a cheaper than north (overall), and it's closer to the Gold coast, and still reasonably close to airport.

We have a reasonable chance of securing a mortgage of up to about $650K.

We'd like to buy a PPOR with the aim of turning it into an IP when we eventually leave Brisbane and move to Sydney.

I've spent ages on research and created a map mapping every major shopping area, every supermarket etc in the south/SE area to try to understand the 'walkability' factor of every suburb in this area... so far I've been pretty disappointed as nothing much comes up. I thought I had it tough finding such a suburb in Melbourne but now I'm finding it even tougher in Brisbane.

I would prefer a free-standing house with land at least 400sqm, but at a pinch, a 3br townhouse is OK as well, if it's in a good suburb (with good growth). I'm finding it hard to find a townhouse complex without a pool though as I've read on this forum to avoid those, as they have high strata/body corp fees.

I know that schools zones is also a factor.. not only because our child may go there, but for the capital growth... However WALKABILITY the most important factor for us.

I'm finding it hard finding much availability of anything within walking distance to the shops, let alone a train station. It appears that Brisbane doesn't build shops near train stations at all which is really frustrating, unlike Sydney, (Melbourne is in between.. there are a handful of such suburbs, but still nowhere near as many as Sydney). It also appears that Brisbanites don't even use the train much? mainly buses.

We do have a car but as my partner will need it for work, and we don’t want to get a second car, so I'd also prefer to live somewhere within walking distance of a train station or major bus line.

I don’t want anything with too much aircraft noise, or in a flood or bushfire zone, obviously. I don’t want anything super secluded/remote that backs onto a big plot bushland.

We don’t mind a slightly longer commute if the area is nice to live in.

So these are the suburbs /areas I’ve considered:

Bulimba/Balmoral/Hawthorne - looks like a lovely area but seems to be mostly in a flood zone? And probably too expensive, and the commute will be too long/far.

Morningside/Seven Hills/Norman Park - a bit cheaper and more availability than the above… Is this a decent area?

Wynnum/Manly - I like the idea of living by the seaside, but is it too quiet/isolated? There isn’t anything much within walking distance of the water anyway…

Capalaba/Alexandra Hills - Are they OK areas? Seem rather remote…

Cannon Hill / Tingalpa/Carina/Carina heights/Carindale - anything good/bad about these areas?

Coorparoo/Camp Hill/Stones Corner - This is probably my top preference but there doesn’t seem to be much available and the commute could be too long… although, we are going away from the city, and not into it.

Holland Park/Holland Park West/Mount Gravatt - ?

Upper Mount Gravatt/Robertson/MacGregor/Sunnybank (northern end) - Garden City shopping mall nearby but from looking at Google maps you can't exactly just walk into it, right? You need to drive and park. It's surrounded by major multi-laned roads, not exactly safe for walking around...?

Wishart / Eight mile plains - ?

Fairfield/Annerley /Moorooka - Are they dodgy? Or are they becoming hipster/gentrified?

Sunnybank/ Sunnybank Hills/ - I like the idea of being near good Asian supermarkets and restaurants (I am Asian background myself) however I’m not sure I want to live in an area so dominated by Asians… plus from what I can tell these areas are nothing like Chatswood (Sydney) or Box Hill/Glen Waverley (Melbourne). Are they more like Ashfield/Burwood/Hurstville? Or something in between?

Calamvale/Stretton/Runcorn - again, I know very Asian dominated but probably the cheapest of all the areas I’m considering and with some chance (availability) of a getting a house with land…

Chelmer/Graceville/Sherwood/Corinda - this area seems lovely (I love being close to the water) but again - flood zone? high(er) prices and lack of availability…. Oxley could be a possibility but seems very industrial?

Yeronga/Yeerongpilly - not sure how I feel about these areas… although I like they have a train station and are close to the city.

Questions

1. If you know Brisbane well, which would areas/suburbs you recommend us? As I said, walkability (being close to shops, amenities and transport) is the main thing for us.
    2. Would you recommend trying to get a house with land (even if it means giving up walkability) or getting a 3br townhouse (with at least 1 garage space and bit of a courtyard/backyard)?

Thank you!

Never giveup and Gockie like this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

My in-laws and extended family live in the area (Robertson/MacG/Sunnybank/8MP) so I (pre-covid) frequent there quite often.

It's definitely not GW, but more cross between Box Hill (Vic) and Springvale in feel.

The Y-man

3. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I don’t want to be a downer but with that budget I think you would struggle to get a house in most of those areas.
    Are you able to come to Brisbane for a week and drive around to get a feel for the place?

4. Onyx_OCAU

Onyx_OCAU Well-Known Member

While it seems you may have had your heart set of Brisbane/SE QLD already; what stood out to me sharing somewhat similar situation to you (from Sydney; lived in Melb, etc) is that since your family friends and social connections are all in Sydney, are you sure you want QLD to be your primary residence for the foreseeable future?!

I would encourage you explore options of Central Coast for instance - it's arguably commutable to Sydney for work; and has the lifestyle aspect of what you're after - and it's closer to your social connections than QLD.

Is it at all a possibility to go on holidays in Brissie and visit/try out the various suburbs and places you have in mind to make your permanent home? 1-2 weeks, perhaps staying at short term rental/AirBnB type place to get a feel for the areas you wish to consider moving to. Then when it comes to the buying of a specific property, engage a local buyers agent or go inspect personally - the trip will be worthwhile if you're throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars at it.

5. cygne

cygne Member

Thanks for your replies.

Y-man - thanks for your explanation about Sunnybank being a Box Hill - Springvale vibe.

Firefly99 - I do realise that, hence my question about the townhouse. However I have found some houses around that budget, at least on 'paper'.. I know that agents underquote all the time.

Onyx_OCAU - Thanks, yes I have thought about that matter, for sure. The thing is, we can't just live anywhere in Sydney (or even around it) as I have to take into consideration commute times... At the moment we have a massive commute in Melbourne (1 hour each way) - don't really want to explain the reason as it's too long and personal, but suffice to say, work and daycare are at opposite ends of Melbourne, we can't move, can't change jobs or get a shorter commute...

...and all this time wasted sitting in traffic is driving both of us insane, especially since our son is so young and needs a lot of care.. even him going to daycare part-time, we waste so much time driving around. ... so by going to Brisbane we were hoping to avoid that and get a substantially shorter commute (I mean 30mins is reasonably to me).

I had thought of the Central Coast to be honest but it would be a horrific commute, even worse than the one we have now, due to where our potential work would be located ... It would take 1-1.5hours to drive there (each way).

I do also have 2 good friends living in Brisbane, whereas I have 0 in the Central Coast.

Also, after what's happened in recent years I'm terrified of living in a bushfire or flood zone... But I do appreciate your advice, it's something I'll have to think about more and yes, I agree, a trip up there to have a look in person would be a good idea.

6. cygne

cygne Member

Oh and I said 650K as we could possibly go up to 750K... because I know with the underquoting going on lately, that a 650K property could probably sell for 750K.

I would also prefer to go for something cheaper and not so perfect than be stressed with a mortgage we can't cover.. so either way...

If it has to be a townhouse, so be it.

7. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Btw, Brisbane it’s not like Melbourne where agents underquote often. My brisbane purchases had always been below quoted price lol... but at the moment market is really hot, totally different case.

8. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

If buying a town house I’d definitely go for a higher end suburb as you’ll get much better capital growth.

With respect to walkability, it really depends ‘where’ in the suburb you buy. I wouldn’t say x suburb is more walkable over y suburb because it really depends how far you are from shops and the school.

9. niblet

niblet Member

I can only speak for a few of these suburbs, as I'm a Southsider. When you say you can secure a mortgage of up to $650k, is that just the mortgage portion? Or do you mean $650k total? $650k total may be a stretch but $750k - $800k will still get you something reasonable if you're willing to get something a bit older and renovate / add value in your own time.

As far as Fairfield / Annerley / Moorooka, in my experience Fairfield and Annerley are fine. I've found Moorooka and Yeronga a bit dodgy but Fairfield and Annerley are fine generally speaking. As you get up to Chardons Corner Hotel in Annerley it's definitely not as nice, but not unsafe. Although there are nice houses in Yeronga, I had lots of issues with dodgy neighbours when I lived there. There is also public housing near the train station and a fair bit of crime around Shottery Street. I think Annerley is safer than Yeronga and Mooroka. For your budget a standalone house in this area is probably not a consideration, but townhouse is probably doable.

If you're willing to go further out, Mount Gravatt still has some decent brick low sets going for low 700's on approx 600m2 blocks. Never had any issues in this area as far as interesting characters or crime. As someone else mentioned, walkability is going to depend where in the suburb you buy. Mount Gravatt is okay for buses - no train stations nearby unfortunately.

10. cygne

cygne Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. It gives me a lot to think about...

11. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Many ppl in Bris just use cars.

Walkability is good in cannon hill, Stones Corner, Woolloongabba, Faifield, Annerley.

There is only the single train line South , and one Sourh East. so buying near a train station is worth it. Banoon train station is cool near Sunnybank. The cross river rail project will make some inner south suburbs very accessible... woolloongabba and dutton Park / Fairfield especially.

Lots of nice places in Logan City Council areas but if u are a habitual walker and train person then u might live inner citu and commute to logan where the jobs are.

If u do consider Logan Rochdale South and Springwood are good with your budget, snd on the train line Meadowbrook is great ( near hospital ).

12. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

I work at Upper Mt Gravatt (just near Westfield Garden CIty) and I think it might fit your bill. It has lots of shops, dining options, cute little state school and option of private schools all easily walkable. Transport links are great north and south. It takes me 30 minutes to get there from Logan in the morning and only 15 minutes to get home (leaving at 2pm). The M1 can be a pain especially at the moment as they're doing road works. It is getting much busier there and higher density housing so I think the land value will only go up and turning it into a IP down the track will see you do well.

13. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I would look around Mt Gravatt and surrounding suburbs also.

Edit/add. Mansfield has some reasonably priced properties available at the moment. Aminya Street shops have everything you need and express bus to city and Garden City Shopping centre. Has Bunnings, industrial area with a few handy services and good schools. About 30 min drive to Logan.

I would get a house over a Townhouse

Last edited: 21st May, 2021
    niblet likes this.
  14. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Walkability? In Mt Gravatt? Better get that second car!! Westfields shopping centres are not my idea of walkability.

I would have thought a village style precinct would suit best? Maybe the boggo road precinct the woolloongabba or stones corner precinct.

TBH Ipswich and Beenleigh are more walkable than much of Brissy ( maybe need to run a bit as well )

Brisbane busses are notorious BTW, so train over bus also makes sense.

I think OP has to visit his friends here and scope things out.

15. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

If the work is in Logan, and you only have one car - why not live in Logan?
    Walk to work or very short commute - and then the car can be left for whomever needs to do the school drop-off and pick up etc. And you would get a decent house in a decent area of Logan for that money.

boganfromlogan likes this.
  16. niblet

niblet Member

Mansfield is great but might stretch the budget unless going for a lowset or smaller house. Competition in the area for the bigger bricks is crazy at the moment due to people moving from interstate wanting to get into the catchment area, combined with low stock. One of the 70s highsets under offer currently had 30+ offers according to the REA. Owners wanted high 800's / low 900's.

17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes would have to go for the cheapies that aren’t double storey brick veneer. Do you have a link to the property?

18. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

$650k is easily doable in Runcorn.

19. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

It makes my knees weak to hear about people saying $650 should be doable in Runcorn. That number would have been unheard of in Runcorn not long ago.

Sackie likes this.
  20. niblet

niblet Member

Sure. I've messaged you to avoid hijacking the thread :p

Propin likes this.