Subject to flooding by stormwater overland flow

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Brickbybrick, 30th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brickbybrick

Brickbybrick Well-Known Member

I had a solicitor go over the contract of sale for a Sydney PPOR I am considering.

He pointed out it was subject to flooding by stormwater overland flow, and is also subject to stormwater flooding related development controls.

There is also a drainage reserve (one of those approx 2m deep channels) which runs along behind the rear property boundary. I'm assuming this factor may have a lot to do with potential flooding. The solicitor noticed it on the original plan of the estate in the COS. I didn't notice it when I viewed the property as the fence was a bit high, but one can clearly see it in Google Maps.

The property is across the road from a golf course (which in theory is a good thing??), and in hindsight is probably situated on one of the lowest point of the suburb, with only the golf course being slightly lower. On the other side of the golf course there is a bit of a rise in the topography.

The house, along with many others on the street has been established for over 60 years, and doesn't show any obvious signs of past flood damage, although I have had a B&P done as yet.

The solicitor suggested I should speak to the council about the flooding and the associated development controls, but what will the council be able to tell me apart from say "yeah there is a possibility that the channel could flood etc"?

A work colleague suggested I go and knock on the doors of potential neighbours and ask those who have lived there for years whether they have experienced any flooding.

In regard to the controls (whatever they mean) I'm not looking at developing the property, maybe just refurbishing an old garage (which happens to be adjacent to that drainage reverse......)

Should I just give the property a miss or am I being too negative?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Best to talk to Council about the flooding potential in the first instance and also about the proximity to the drain and any related easements that may affect you.

3. TML

TML Well-Known Member

My block is in the flood zone area and subject to flooding and overland flow.

Iam currently doing a knock down rebuild and had investigated this matter in detail.

The information you seek should be available in your local council website. There should be flood zone maps showing flooding related information.

There is also a flood study report available at council which you can buy which states the possible risk level of your block being flooded.

What council means about the controls is when you do develop the property such as extensions or knock down re-build, there are specific flood requirements to be met. Typical examples include but not limited are stormwater flow rates, slab height, etc,,,,,, these information will be presented in council DCP.

Which council is the property under?

4. Brickbybrick

The property is under the Georges River council.

5. TML

TML Well-Known Member

6. Brickbybrick

Thanks TML. I also spoke to the council about the matter. I think I will give the property a miss. I got some online quotes for insurance and they were considerably more expensive than my parent's property with more than twice the land size (admittedly not in a flood prone area of Sydney). I like the property but not that much..

7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

They're likely stating this for insurance reasons.

In many of the floods in QLD a few years ago, houses were flooded due to overland flow, not from rain falling from the sky locally. Many insurance policies defined 'flood' as water falling from the sky and thousands of people found themselves without cover for the river running through their living room.

Naturally there was outrage and the government did put some controls and compensation in place, but many people never got their insurance payout.

A statement like this should be a prompt to read the insurance policy very, very carefully.