Subject to finance loan amount

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by 10khours, 18th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 10khours

10khours Well-Known Member

How important is the 'loan amount' section on the subject to finance condition? Wording is as follows:

This contract is subject to a loan being approved and the following details apply if the box is checked:
    Lender: ________
    Loan amount: no more than: ________

My conveyancer advised the loan amount must be exact on the contract. But since I am doing a loan with capitalised LMI, I don't know the exact LMI premium and therefore do not know the exact amount I will need to borrow. I do know the rough LMI premium if I was borrowing for a more expensive property, should I just use the LMI figure for the higher purchase price. Will this condition still be valid if the loan amount is less than the amount on the contract? E.g. if I put loan amount of 1 million on the form, but end up only applying for a loan of 980,000 which falls through, would the subject to finance condition still allow me to exit the contract?

Or do I need to get my broker to run the figures on the exact purchase price I am going to offer and tell me the loan amount?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

very important.
    Better to put the highest amount so that it will give you an option to back out - seek your own legal advice.

If you put the contract subject to a loan of $980,000 but you are approved for $979,999 then you have not met the condition of the contract.

10khours likes this.
  3. tigerpaws

tigerpaws Active Member

In QLD you put "Sufficient to complete"
    Whatever days your broker said finance would take.

carfield likes this.
  4. Terry_w

That is too vague

5. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Late to the party, however: some vendors/agents don't care about the loan amount in a 'subject to finance' approval clause. Sometimes they will accept it being left blank, or "sufficient to complete" being inserted. It's really for the vendor/agent to insist upon, otherwise better to leave it blank or vague, if possible.

6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Doesnt ‘no more than’ sound weird? Why isnt it ‘no less than’?

7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

In lending terms the difference is probably achedemic. A lender who declines 92.8% LVR is also likely to decline 92.4% LVR. A reasonable guess will likely suffice for a finance clause. If in doubt, add a little extra to the figure on the finance clause.

Also many lenders 'decline letters' don't actually specify the loan amount and I've never had a conveyancer question it.

8. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

If the vendor is allowing a subject to finance clause, why don't you ask for it written to your benefit by being more broad? Eg. "Subject to finance by a suitable lender chosen by the purchaser"

Therefore, if you haven't found a "suitable lender" that you are happy with, you can still back out if you so choose.

9. Terry_w

Whats the definition of 'suitable lender'?

Rather than broad it might be best to narrow it down to a specific amount and specific lender - ideally set a high LVR to give you an option of not being able to get that amount.

sanj and KateAshmor like this.
  10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Downside of that approach while safer is less likely to be accepted by a seller in a contested market.

95 % lend vs 80 % lend with same price and conditions, the 80 % will almost always get the preference

ta
    rolf

Terry_w likes this.
  11. Terry_w

I have had 2 calls this week from agents so I think the market has turned - at least in Sydney. Also received a few sms saying price guides for houses have dropped in value. A few months ago they wouldn't even return calls.

carfield likes this.
  12. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Yep - that's been my experience over the years too. They care more about the finance expiry date!

Cheers

Jamie

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Thats a good point Jamie. Putting a time limit on a offer to indicate a finance limit gives some form of condition. Vendors must choose to reject in that case

14. carfield

carfield Well-Known Member

for all QLD purchase where i had finance clause, "sufficient to complete" is what we put. My lawyer reviewed and ensured all terms were drafted/reviewed in my favor.

15. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Ask your broker what figure to nominate.

I am sometimes asked what LVR is being borrowed when we're in the early stages of negotiating an offer. The favourable answer is 80% or less, as the selling agents know that'll be desktop valuation (rather than in person) and that thus valuation is very unlikely to throw a spanner in the loan application works. They also know that above 80%, there will be LMI which means the formal loan approval will take longer to come through.