Subdivision under size question

Discussion in 'Development' started by Bethjane, 21st Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bethjane

Bethjane New Member

I'm looking at subdividing my block and building a new house on the back (would be a battleaxe block). I'm wanting to do this because we haven't been able to find land to build on in the area we want. My problem is we are in low density residential zone and can't subdivide under 1acre without reticulated sewage that we don't have access to. The 2 blocks would end up being aprox 3500sqm each.
    My question is are councils lenient on subdivision sizes or am I waisting my time trying?
    Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How do you propose to get rid of sewage without creating an environmental issue when there's no sewer and insufficient land for absorption? Are you proposing to use a collection well and pump out system if that's acceptable to council or are you going to extend the sewer to the property?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

3500 sqm is more than enough land for a biocycle type unit.

4. Bethjane

Bethjane New Member

I'm planning on a supertreat system like we currently have or something similar. Will obviously be hiring the appropriately qualified professionals to plan that side of things if we were to go ahead. Just wanting to know if I have a chance at being able to subdivide at this stage

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have a chat with a town planner familiar with your LEP

6. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

You need to look at the planning controls and the zone schedule. If no area is specified in the schedule 0.4ha per lot where reticulated sewer is not availab;e, 0.2ha minimum lot size where it is -end of story!

It has nothing to do with land capabiity (kind of), it is a minimum block size provision written into the planning scheme(s)

So short answer is no, you can't subdivide as you do not have sufficent land area to create 2 x 04ha lots

7. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Ask the Council to confirm