Subdivision/ Tricky Floorplan

Discussion in 'Development' started by LexieY, 4th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LexieY

LexieY Member

Hi Guys,

I v bought a house recently for subdivision-- to sell with a permit is my goal.
    Fact sheet:
    Bayside surburb: Cheltenham
    land:620--capable of dual properties
    advantage: walking distance to shopping center and train station
    disadvantage: rail way---50 meters away from the fence of backyard (noise&vibration,commuter line, no horning)

Now we are at the stage of design/floor plan---4 bedrooms& 2 stories. It is much more tricky tough compared with the ones on good&normal streets.
    we try to minimize the impact from the rail way while work out the most desirable floor plan

My questions are:

1.should we go for two townhouses-side by side in strips (both will be impacted by the noise)
    or one in the front (limited noise) and one at the back (take all the noise)

2. Is the master bedroom with en-suite DOWNSTAIRS more desirable now? Cashed up seniors for downsizing must like it, but who will be our target end user market?

Thanks heaps!!

Or anyone has experience with the development on land next to a rail way can shed some lights? much appreciated!

2. property world

property world Well-Known Member

Others would have more experience.

Its hard to say whether you should go side by side or one next to each other. Id probably lean towards - next to each other. Simply because it means you can go with wet areas such as a laundry to the backyard to hang out the clothes for each dwelling maybe next to a bathroom just in front of that to try shut out that noise. Upstairs might be more difficult maybe go with the ensuite that side or a WIR closest to the train coming off the main bedroom.

Where is the North side i didnt read it all so sorry for being ignorant of you had written it in.

Disclaimer: FWIW i dont know the area and target audience but pushing wet areas to that side would be best to abrupt noise.

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You will need to talk to locals, REA, PMs to work out who your main demographic will be for the end product. Then build accordingly.

Depending on the width of the block I'd go side by side if possible. Although both will get noise a street front presence is always worth more.

To reduce the noise you will need additional insulation in the walls, roof and windows. Carefully consider the placement of windows if they can be put on walls that aren't directly facing the line, consider using thicker laminated glass (Viridian Vhush) or double glazing

Then consider the landscaping at the rear. Consider a brick wall on the railway line side instead of timber. Plant tall shrubs/trees to screen and help reduce noise along the border.

Oh I just re-read and you want to sell with permits not actually build it.

I would just design something that looks good then, people will go for side by side nice layout and worry about implementing their own noise treatments.

Sackie and LifesGood like this.
  4. LexieY

LexieY Member

Hi Property World,

I have gone for the next to each other--both have street fronts and back yard with the rail way.
    Also great idea to leave the wet areas in the back. It is finally with the Architect for a floorplan now, we will see the outcome soon.
    The north is the backyard side, sorry forgot to mention it.
    One property will be enjoying more sun light than the other given where the north is.

property world likes this.
  5. LexieY

LexieY Member

Hi Westminster,

Great advice!
    Side by side is a good with both street front, it is our final choice.
    will make sure the looking is good and suggest a few noise treatment even though we are not building it.
    have spoken with the local agents, it is a pretty typical melb suburb, families, young professions, retirees and ect. We would go for a standard&popular 4 bedder

6. Westminster

Cheltenham is a lovely suburb. I spent some time in Mordialloc a few months ago and drove through Cheltenham quite a few times. I think the area is very well serviced.

Cactus likes this.
  7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Those NRZ zone properties will have a good support from council for side by side proposed development.

You would want to have a bedroom on ground floor that can be used as a master bedroom or guest bedroom or turn in to formal lounge room.

8. LexieY

LexieY Member

yes, it is steadily growing, not as aggressive as the neighborhood, such as Highett, so we see the potential.

Cactus likes this.
  9. LexieY

LexieY Member

yes we have put one bedroom downstairs with a two-way bathroom. quite flexible

10. LexieY

LexieY Member

for the side by side development, I am wondering is it better to go two different lookings or same? for example one is triangle roof, the other is a square box

11. Westminster

I would say different but not too different. A sympathetic style

12. Purple Patch

Purple Patch Well-Known Member

Is the property in Bayside or Kingston council? They have different approaches to planning and stormwater issues. Call the relevant council and make an appointment with the planning department to have a chat about what they like to see and what they are more likely to support
    Cheers
    PP

13. LexieY

LexieY Member

Thanks Westminster. We also think slight difference might make it easier to sell

14. LexieY

LexieY Member

It is in Bayside Council, the more strict one.
    we are doing it via an agent, will let them contact the council planning dept.

15. Westminster

16. LexieY

LexieY Member

we r looking at somewhere between 900K-1M for the end product.
    Thanks for sharing the link. It is really a great example of the slight difference. The color works very well.
    we have a concern that people may think the 'square box design'would be too warm in summer&chilly in winter?
    maybe the one with triangle roof would be better? but that will cost more
    still deciding...

17. imbi3

imbi3 Well-Known Member

Hi LexieY
    What is the zoning of this property? I am currently looking at one in Cheltenham. Close to train line but is in Kingston council. Can you fit 3 on the block?

18. LexieY

LexieY Member

Hi imbi3,

It is in Bayside city council where are more strict in zoning than Kingston.so I can only apply for 2.
    Are yours just next to the train line? front or back ? how big is the land

19. imbi3

imbi3 Well-Known Member

It is not next to train line. It is located at a street adjacent to it.

20. LexieY

LexieY Member

That is fine if it is not affected by the noise and vibration, but still can add in features to reduce the impact

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.