Subdivision questions

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Hunter15, 1st May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hunter15

Hunter15 Member

Hi,

I would like some input from you property experts.

I recently bought 910m2 property with a 70yo weatherboard home in Victoria that can be either fully renovated or knock down and rebuild.

We were thinking of building a dual occupancy but don't like the idea of spending 900k all at once especially income uncertainty due to covid.

I would like to ask you if we build one new dwelling at the front first and stay there for 7-10yrs years to save enough money to build a second one at the back, is there any drawbacks of doing this? Is it true that the cost would be much dearer doing it that way rather than straight into building two? Also access would be much restricted?

We also heard that there could be complications on the connection of the services for the back dwelling if we choose to build the front first? Is this true?

We spoke to the council and they are fine with it, we just have to plan it well from the beginning with second dwelling in mind.

Could you think of any drawbacks doing it this way? Most dual occ builders we spoke to either don't want to do one at a time or they simply can't. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing it this way.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and reply.

Regards,
    Hunter15

2. Ernie888

Ernie888 New Member

Hi Hunter,

I am not a surveyor and have zero experience in Victoria.
    So please take advice with a pinch of salt.
    • We spoke to the council and they are fine with it.
    Do you have this in writing?
    You'll need to submit planning documents. Make sure it's in writing and follow to the letter.

Building both at the same time will always be cheaper as it's just easier.

Cost of labour and materials will change over time.
    No builder will commit to a price now for a second house build in 10 years time.
    Also who is to say they will still be in business in 10 years time! ;)
    • We also heard that there could be complications on the connection of the services for the back dwelling if we choose to build the front first? Is this true?
    If you get plans drawn for a dual occupancy. You could in the first stage, pre-lay drainage and foundations for both properties. but not build the second rear house.

Thus avoiding large earthworks later and access issues for diggers etc.

Do you have planning? It sounds like no, so that would be my first port of call.
    Speak to council get their comments in writing. Engage Architect to draw up some plans with option to build in 2 stages. There are ways to make the 2nd stage smoother.

Good luck!

3. Hunter15

Hunter15 Member

Hi Ernie,
    Thank you for the informative reply. I appreciate it. No, we haven't submitted any planning document. Do we need to engage town planner to do this?

Cheers,
    Hunter

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia