Subdivision issue

Discussion in 'Development' started by yamahamoto, 19th Aug, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. yamahamoto

yamahamoto Active Member

We are planning to subdivide our block and sale the subdivided land once completed.

I have not dealt with the process before so i have been asking around to understand the process and associated cost. One of the person I spoke to said our land is in the Melbourne Airport overlay which has the restriction of 300m2 per dwelling and our block is under 600m2 so we wont be able to subdivide. Few other people I spoke to are unaware of this overlay and its restriction so they werent able to help.

This has taken me by surprise as I havent heard of of this restriction before and the fact there are multiple developments close by doesnt follow the restriction. In fact the house across the street is currently being subdivided and the land is only around 520m2.

Have anyone come across this before and can you please let me know how to find out the exact information on this overlay and its restriction. Our property is in Sunshine north, Victoria. Thanks alot in advance.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Your local govt council can assist. Town planning department.

3. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

The property over the road made be outside the overlay. Check your zoning and overlays and then restrictions with the Council, and then seek independent town planning advice if necessary

4. yamahamoto

yamahamoto Active Member

I have gotten a plan permit from the council and now need to do the subdivision process. Can someone recommend a lawyer in Victoria who can assist with subdivision and consolidation? Thanks in advance

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I wouldnt get a lawyer to do a subdivision. I would seek a surveyor / town planner. If any legal issues like partitioning etc come up perhaps then seek legal advice

lixas4, yamahamoto and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. yamahamoto

yamahamoto Active Member

Im sorry I don’t even know who I should contact. Can you recommend someone in Victoria?

7. yamahamoto

yamahamoto Active Member

I just contacted the surveyor that I used for the adverse possession and he can do it. Thanks for this

lixas4 and Tufan Chakir like this.