Subdivision in Ryde Municipality

Discussion in 'Development' started by Voicerecord, 21st Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Voicerecord

Voicerecord Member

Hi all,
    We are on a 1000 square metre block in Ryde area. Just trying to look at ways to create security and wealth. My income is limited at this stage but will improve if things go to plan.

My question is: can you subdivide the block with a house still on it? I was thinking of a long term plan of building 3 dwellings on the land, but only building 1 at a time.
    So actually commencing building in the furthest part of the yard, with a future plan to knock down the existing home and building 2 other dwellings. Does council allow this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-VR

2. Fabs

Fabs Active Member

This type of question is very specific to the site, as planning controls may vary depending on zoning, suburb, type of subdivision, relationship between the buildings, etc. If you can please share your address in a private message I would be happy to take a preliminary look on the planning controls to provide you with further advice.

Voicerecord likes this.
  3. wrinvestor

wrinvestor Member

You can get your DA for 3 lot subdivision, but you would not be able to start building the rearmost villa by itself then build the otherd later on. Its not practicable.

Voicerecord likes this.
  4. Fabs

Fabs Active Member

What if there was the possibility of creating a battle axe lot at the back, then later building a duplex at the front? It all depends on site dimensions, configuration and planning controls.

Voicerecord likes this.
  5. wrinvestor

wrinvestor Member

Min. lot size for battleaxe subdivision in Ryde LGA is 700m2 so you would need min. 1400m2 site. Provided you have 20m frontage and stormwater sorted your best use for the site is 1x townhouse at front 2x villas at the rear.

Voicerecord likes this.
  6. Voicerecord

Voicerecord Member

It's the most affordable option for me. I wonder if the council would object to me building 1 and the other 2 in 5-10years.

7. Voicerecord

Voicerecord Member

Thx good thought

8. Voicerecord

Voicerecord Member

What is the difference between a townhouse and villa. Yep there is 20m frontage. Can I build back two first? And keep the existing front property for the time being and knock down later.
    Ok so battleaxe might not be allowed.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Your DA would most likely have lapsed.

Voicerecord likes this.
  10. Gavin Ng

Gavin Ng Well-Known Member

The answer depends on the zoning and minimum lot sizes of that zone and what’s permitted in terms of dual occupancies, multi unit housing etc.

E.g - if you’re in the R2 zone, Ryde LEP allows dual occupancies (attached) with a minimum lot size of 580m2 (or 290m2) per lot if you have 20m frontage

The problem is attached dual occ won’t allow you stage your development.

Doing the project in stages will end up costing you much more. I think you’ll find all the civil works (stormwater, electrical, access, water etc) will need to be down before anything else gets built anyway and getting trades in and out twice will not be worth the trouble and additional costs. Imagine doing separate formwork, seperate rough in, separate slab pours, separate brick work, fit off etc. staged developments for large scale developments = yes, for something like this, not really worth it. Perhaps a secondary dwelling first and a dwelling later maybe.

The above is all hypothetical and depends on your site but if your doing staged like you said, you’ll also need to have a site down with a certifier to see if an interim OC can be issued.

Voicerecord and Anthony416 like this.
  11. Engineering

Engineering Member

Three properties may be possible but as mentioned before it can be townhouses and villas, but that is also subject to Council's policies.
    Next thing is stages. I know of no way how such a project can be done in stages.
    I believe this goes like one DA one development, so there are stage inspections like form slab, stormwater and sewer plumbing and so forth. When the certifier comes he will only certify if the plumbing is done in its entirety and as per plan, not lets say 60% and we will do the rest later. Similarly the same would apply for other aspects aswell. When DA is approved, there are DA conditions, the certifier is guided by it.

As far as security goes, the easiest thing I think would be to go to an architect and get the land approved for development to its maximum potential. Builders tend to like DA approved sites. Get a valuation done with the approval, it may add some to the assessment.

12. Mick G

Mick G New Member

Hi VR
    are you still pursuing the idea of a staged development, if you wanted to PM me maybe i can help. i work for a large building company and i also have access to town planners.