Subdivision in Melton West

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tsehgol, 18th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tsehgol

Tsehgol Member

Hi all
    Long time lurker, first time poster.
    I have an IP in Melton West Victoria. 890m2 block with wide 25m frontage, rectangular shape, slopes to street. No easements. 3/2/2 brick veneer single story house sits in the front corner leaving 7m side access. Bought in Jan 2016, have a fair amount of equity.

I want to subdivide the backyard/battle axe, creating 2 lots, keep existing house as it is.
    New to the game
    1. Whom should I begin in speaking to - surveyor, town planner?
    2. I want to sell the newly created block, someone else can do the development. Is that a reasonable thing to do? Would I need to sell with plans for a building?
    3. Any experience with Melton Council?
    4. Idea of breakdown of cost?

Thanks in advance. New to the game but keen to learn through the process

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Town planning firm would be the first point of call imo.

I'd run your numbers from a tax perspective, it may be more beneficial to build a property and rent it, or move in and then sell it, as opposed to selling vacant land.

If conducting an enterprise, GST could apply on the sale.

3. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

1. Definitely Town planner
    2. Depends on zone and size of the block created - if less than 400/300 sim you will need development plans for a planning application. These are then linked to the subdivision - but can be changed to suit someone else's objective (subject to a permit amendment etc)
    If the land area is sufficiently large you should be able seek a planning permit for "simple" subdivision without development plans. This is the best option - great flexibility
    To sell you will need to progress the subdivision from "on paper"/planning approval to certification - services, driveway etc etc, ready for lodging with Titles Office
    3.Yes, but like all Councils in Vic (and elsewhere) it will depend a little on the opinion/personality of the Council planner.
    4.Around $40 - 50k for the subdivision - a very rubbery figure and will depend on services/headworks costs etc

Don't be cheap on getting good advice. A little spent now will reap rewards later. Go for experience and quality in your consultant team

4. Krish8

Krish8 Member

Hi,

How did you go with your Subdivison plan ? I am looking to do the same, please advise based on your experience. thanks