Subdivision in Hornsby

Discussion in 'Development' started by Mohit, 2nd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mohit

Mohit New Member

Have read some earlier posts in this forum about the subdivision process and it's very informative. I am trying to get a surveyor to advise further but thought I can post my question here.

It's a heritage house on a 1300sqm block with over 15m of frontage. The current driveway is what can be the access handle if we are able to sub divide. The driveway is surely over 3m with the original house wall on one side and some foliage and fence on the otherwise. But don't think the total width is 3.5m as required by the council. It will be around 3.2-3.3m

Question is how much of a block is this to subdivision? I have surely seen other access handles narrower than ours. How do they get approved?

In case I proceed and council rejects the subdivision can I go for strata sub division. Will the criteria for that be more relaxed?

I am less concerned about titles as the goal is to build a new house at the back for us to live in and rent out the front. Back yard is around 15m x 50m so a granny flat there would be quite a waste.

Any kind of advise including referrals to planners who can do this would be appreciated.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Why not have a chat to a town planner at the council who should be able to give you a good idea of what is allowed.
    Marg

3. Mohit

Mohit New Member

Thanks Marg. I called the council and asked for a person who can advise on sub division matters. 8 months ago the response was that there is flexibility. I called them again this week and some other person answered and they said there is no flexibility on the 3.5 rule.

Are town planners the ones who advise on sub divisions?

4. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

I think a town planner is a good place to start.

5. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Below is a copy and paste from a similar thread here in Development that I replied to;

Unfortunately verbal advice from council planners is dubious and even written advice is not binding. For example, written notes produced by council as a result of a pre-lodgement meeting are a guide and will give some comfort that the DA will proceed but are not binding on council (at least this has been the case in my dealings with NSW councils).

Often the duty planner at council you get to talk to at the counter is inexperienced and prone to giving out misleading information. Even in pre-lodge meetings in some councils there can be two tiers and two payment scales. Senior planners in attendance (base level) or Senior planners plus mangers (next level up but still not binding).

6. Mohit

Mohit New Member

Thanks Anthony. I fully agree. I have seen your other posts as well and they are very insightful. I think best is I hire a surveyor, planner who can advise and then take this to completion. Am reaching out to a few in the area and will surely post more on what all learn from this.

7. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

An independent town planner is the way to go, council planners are rather uninformative at times, and the same duty officer told me two different things months apart.

Hopefully someone can advise and suggest a competent town planner around the area you're asking about.

8. Mohit

Mohit New Member

That's great to hear. It's the first time I am dealing with the council. Wasn't expecting it to be easy but was expecting consistency at the least. In a way relieved that I am not alone. Yes any recommendation on a planner in this area would be a great help.