Subdivision in Brisbane LGA

Discussion in 'Development' started by JK200SX, 29th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

I understand that if you hav a block >600sqm within 200m of a shopping strip ( perhaps I've got the wrong name here), then you may be able to subdivide the land into 2 parcels of 300sqm each.

What happens in the case of corner blocks that are just under 600, i.e. At approx 590sqm, where the last few seasons are lost in the rounding of the footpath right on the corner?

Agent30yrs. likes this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you have property in Brisbane like that then in the last rates notices they have a slip in every rate notice if you want to talk to BCC town planner..0731785500..

3. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Hi @JK200SX, when Cityplan 2014 came in it bought about massive change in the way town planning was assessed. What used to be pretty straight forward became significantly more complicated but it also gave BCC the ability to assess applications based on their merit, not just whether or not they met certain criteria. As @willair suggested, talking to the BCC town planners is a good place to start, but understandably, they will be pretty non-committal if it is outside of code. I regularly deal with several town planners who are right on top of small lot subdivisions who I am sure will give you an opinion over the phone. PM me if you would like their details .cheers

4. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

me thinks it may be possible, especially if you can find comparable corner site that are smaller than 300m2 lot in same zoning.

unlikely, the town planner at Brisbane council can provide this advise.

likely, a private town planner can provide a general advise, but they would recommend to spend $800(?) for a face to face meeting with council to discuss the feasibility prior a MCU reconfigure 1 into 2 subdivision.

this is on the assumption that the corner/regular lot is 200m from a 2000m2 centre zoned

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

They can give say it might be possible, but you would still have to pay $10k to submit the application to find out?
    Still might be a no after all that.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I would do a prelodgement meeting to get a good idea of councils response to your proposal and often they will give suggestions of what they would support ect .

You will never know 100% until you lodge but a prelodgement meeting will give you a very good idea of what has a good chance of being supported and what doesn't .

Whenever I'm planning to do a development that is outside the norm in any way, shape or form I'll always do a prelodgement first . All about risk reduction.

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2016
    Elives and RetireRich101 like this.
  7. RetireRich101

that's the word I was looking for "prelodgement meeting"... generally that's a guidance from council whether to accept or not.. I think cost $800 for that meeting

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The standard prelodgement for BCC we just did was $550 if my memory serves me right. (which often it doesn't)

9. RetireRich101

probably that's the council fee alone + an hourly fee of your own town planner fee if you want him/her in the meeting... given your relationship with your tp, it might be charged.

Sackie likes this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

yes correct mate, I was just quoting the meeting itself. However my TP doesn't charge me :)

RetireRich101 likes this.
  11. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

I wouldn't bother talking to the council planners on the phone, they are so vague in their answers that unless it is so far out of what is allowed you will get apply and see as an answer.

At present BCC is taking a very hard line on meeting the acceptable solutions. I have seen 3m2 short on a subdivision get knocked back. I would be very surprised if you got up on a block under 300m2 without going to P&E Court.

You would almost be guaranteed of getting something just short of the acceptable solution on appeal to the P&E Court. We are fixed price on appeals because we do so many of them, it costs $8,250 + GST to appeal (my fees, barrister fees & court fees) and a further $7,500 plus GST to go to mediation. About 25% of these are getting up prior to mediation and almost all by the end of the mediation stage.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yes, if you speak to BCC on the phone they will suggest a meeting to go over what you're hoping to do.
    @RPI knows what he's talking about of course.