Subdivision ideas

Discussion in 'Development' started by htopg, 9th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. htopg

htopg Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just settled a sub-divisible property in Hornsby Council area where the minimum lot in R2 is 500 sqm (driveway cannot count towards the 500sqm).
    The land is around 20m width x 60m depth (see pictures. sorry, I can't draw in AutoCAD :p ).

I am thinking of maximising the return so I would like to subdivide it in a way where I can fit a granny flat at front lot.
    I have drawn up a proposed subdivision and would like to get your opinions on
    1. Who should I engage at this stage to start the subvdivision process?
    town planner? architect? any recommendation for Hornsby area?
    town planner with architect experience? an architect with town planner experience?

2. Who will give me suggestions or ideas on the best subdivision scenario?
    town planner? architect? or propertychat forum fellows?

3. In order to accommodate the granny flat, I can squeeze the back lot to 25m depth (currently 27m depth) if I need to.

4. Is 12m x 5m granny flat the best option in my scenario? not 10m x 6m or any other dimensions?

5. The council told me that the 3m setback can be sideways. It does not need to be 3m from the back lot's fence. Have you done this in the past?

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 9th Dec, 2015
  2. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Best point of contact would be a local architect/ Building Designer.

Just on quick scan, at very least you will need a turning circles for cara for back property.

There are few diffrent opinions to cut up a block. Have a chat to local drafty/town planner.

A good Town planner can assess the site location and advise you of best use of land (may be more dwellings)

Last edited: 10th Dec, 2015
    htopg likes this.
  3. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

With the rear vacant lot, can there be an option for 3 bed main + 2 bed granny flat instead of your proposed? Double storey attached like a duplex type configuration. The granny does not call for car space or private open space requirement so...you will need to check end product to see which config is better

htopg likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Does the granny flat for the existing house have to be so close to the existing house? It feels a little too close together for my personal liking

htopg likes this.
  5. htopg

htopg Well-Known Member

That is what I am thinking.
    When I talked to spec home builders, none of them have that configuration.They suggested to attach a granny flat to one of their designs.
    I found that if I use spec home designs, the best land utilisation cannot be achieved.

6. htopg

htopg Well-Known Member

That is one of my concerns too.
    I do have 2 more metres to play with.
    Will 4-metre separation be enough for your liking?
    Or is there no way to put a granny flat at front lot for your liking?

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

If you're building a granny flat, why would you need to subdivide? Or is Grannyflat a temporary thing?

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

4m space gap is heaps better than 2m. But thinking on the go... I'm not even sure that's adequate space for a car turn around though.

Also max site coverage 50% on each lot so you probably cant build as big as you like in your diagrams on either lot.
    Screenshot_2015-12-10-09-45-03.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-10-09-55-50.png

9. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Maybe find the specs builders duplex design, reduce/shrink one side to 60m2...

htopg likes this.
  10. htopg

htopg Well-Known Member

Two separate things.
    Build a granny flat = boost cash flow
    Subdivide = increase equity

larrylarry likes this.
  11. htopg

htopg Well-Known Member

Oops.. I meant to draw "potential building envelop" after taking care of setbacks.
    Obviously, I also need to consider site coverage (50%) and car turning point.

12. 380

380 Well-Known Member

As @Gockie said, It is 50% FSR. Based on your diagram,it seems overdevelopment of the site.

Having said that @htopg, it is important to consult a town planner- building designer! @AndrewTDP on forum can be helpful for outcome you are looking for!

As land-owner it is very important ($$$$) wise to cut up a block correctly.

Few questions (That you need to find out answers for),

How old is a current house?

Is there a laneway at back?

Slope - orientation of the land?

What;s next door and behind your property? proposed development affect neighbouring properties' amenities ?

Can existing house extended and converted into side by side duplex? if yes, is it financially feasible?

The way you draw a diagram, it will have to be DA Application to council not CDC.(Subject to half a dozen thing) and council GF approval requirements are lot different than CDC.

is it worth while doing a battle axe? or Demo/Rebuild Duplex? Extend/Build Duplex?

can subject land developed under state policy (i.e higher density , FSR, resulting more dwelling)?

I am not seeking an answer to above questions, just making you aware that Town planner, Architect can answer most of above questions, and lead you in right direction.

or it could be blind leading blind scenario!:)

htopg likes this.
  13. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

20 x 60 is great for a battleaxe. I wouldn't split along the front unless you wanted to demolish and build a semi.

After speaking with you yesterday, the offer for you to send through the details so I can double check any constraints that may exist still stands.

htopg likes this.