Subdivision - battle axe lot and driveway

Discussion in 'Development' started by SLM, 29th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SLM

SLM Member

I'm looking to buy a sub-dividable lot which has existing house at the front, and my council requires to provide 3.5m driveway, interesting issue is distance between fence and existing house wall is 3.6m but if measured from the roof eaves then 3.15.
    There are reports on other forums that some council use "from fence to closest part of the house" rule meaning I have not enough driveway width to subdivide as my eaves stick out 45cm out.
    I was thinking what if I cut eaves and have roof ending at the wall, but then read that generally houses should be compliant with Aus standards which require 45cm roof eaves.
    Then the only option left is move the wall 45cm in, has anyone faced this situation, if requirements above are correct, and what would be the costs to move 10m of wall 45cm in. House is 1 storey single brick sits on the ground without concrete slab.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Talk to your local council but here in Perth the eaves are not included in the measurement.
    No point over analysing options if your council don't care about the eaves.
    However if they do care about the eaves then eaves are not a requirement in the Australian standards - if there are eaves then they must be compliant but you can have no eaves and therefore not need to comply. Does that make sense? Consider all the geogian, Tuscan, concealed roof houses and they don't have eaves.
    It would be cheaper to chop off the eaves than move a wall backwards - in fact moving the whole house sideways is probably cheaper than moving a wall backwards 45cm.
    TL;DR? Stop reading about generalities and other councils, phone your Council

Ethan Timor likes this.
  3. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

I'd be more worried about your fence being in a different position then your title boundary....

4. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

Cutting the eaves off shouldn't be an issue and is relatively cheap and easy to do

5. AlexSteffan

AlexSteffan Member

I think you would be better off asking for a relaxation on the 3.5m width. Most Council regions require a 3m concrete driveway with 25cm of gardens on each side so surely you could argue that for the purposes of a clean subdivision, a 3.15m wide access easement would be sufficient for 1 allotment. Alternatively, if the driveway access was just an 'easement', I don't see why the eaves could not overhang.

sanj likes this.
  6. SLM

SLM Member

Thanks all for answers, just called my council, and yes they said they do measure from out most part of the house to the fence that includes eaves, so nothing should overhang over 3.5 requirements. But also mentioned for 2 storey buildings they may give a concession if height is enough for trucks to pass.
    Cutting eaves, he said, is certainly an option, but I would need to demonstrate how water would drain in the new design, but he was not clear if a separate DA needs to be lodged.

7. Ethan Timor

Ethan Timor Well-Known Member

I would now bring this info for discussion with a town planner. Perhaps an integrated DA will be needed :rolleyes:

sanj likes this.
  8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

That wasn't my experience, city of bayswater certainly does, after slicing off 1 leaf of bricks, redoing decorative cornices etc internally and cutting roof back for this project the Survey revealed the gutter just protruded into the 3m minimum by something like 40mm from memory and i was forced to replace a more functional gutter with a less functional one in order to cut 40mm off

62 Central Avenue Maylands WA 6051 62 Central Avenue, Maylands, WA 6051 - Property Details

If you check the photos out above, it was the wall of the dining room that was cut back and had the gutter issue

This was 6 years ago though, so things might've changed

IMG_20180506_200844.jpg

Perthguy likes this.
  9. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

This will depend on the Council you are dealing with. Time to speak with a town planner.