Subdiving and Selling

Discussion in 'Development' started by timoz, 9th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. timoz

timoz Member

Hi all how are we, I am new to this property investing scenarios and would like to learn from your expertise. I am hearing a lot about sub diving the land and then build more than one doweling
    is that possible anywhere ? How does this work? Also a 850 square land can hold how many sub divided dwellings? Who pays for the build process? Can a builder finance the project and give you couple of dwellings?
    What are the tax implications. Can you please guide me with the right info or area/website/people who can help me to understand this process in depth. I am in Victoria. Thank you in advance for helping me.
    Cheers
    timoz

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

First step is to talk to your local council to find out the zoning of your property which will tell you what the minimum block size is and what type of dwellings you can build there.

It may be that you can't go smaller than you've got, but that will depend on the zoning.

You're probably best heading over to PropertyChat and asking these types of questions over there ... but do your research with council first.

PropertyChat :: Australian Property Investment Forums

2 people like this.
  3. timoz

timoz Member

Thanks a lot Simon

4. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Planning laws (the things which dictate what you can and cannot do with a block of land) is largely dictated by local council development rules - so the rules vary widely between the differing councils across Australia. Like wise these planning laws will differ within different sections of the council area, so it will come down to where you hold the property and the property specifics as to what is possible.

In terms of builder finance - generally they don't go down this route as there is a lower ROI for them to go into a project than just doing builds themselves and not carry the capital risk, or they can do the whole project themselves.